Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I need a bit of help!

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2010, 2:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a bit of help!

Hi,i have a '91 c1500 v6,2wd and it has bad tie rod ends. not only is this my first vehicle but i dont know much about tie rods in the first place.
so anyway,what all do i need to replace with the tie rod ends? my friend said i need to get a new relay rod,ilder arm and pitman arm. would i have to go that far ? i can wiggle the tie rods quite a bit both side to side and turning up and down. any thoughts? help is much appreciated!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 3:24 PM
CF Beginner

You should start by buying a Haynes repair manuel at your local auto parts store for this particular vehicle. There about $25.00 and well worth it if you plan on working on your own vehicles. You should be able to turn the tie rod ends a little but not wiggle or move up and down. You ghould replace any of it that mas very much movement. The book will give you great insite on this. Good luck!
Old May 4th, 2010, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cris2for
You should start by buying a Haynes repair manuel at your local auto parts store for this particular vehicle. There about $25.00 and well worth it if you plan on working on your own vehicles. You should be able to turn the tie rod ends a little but not wiggle or move up and down. You ghould replace any of it that mas very much movement. The book will give you great insite on this. Good luck!
I bought one the day i got the truck but it wasnt too clear on what to replace. it just showed me HOW to do it ,not tell how to tell to replace it.
Thanks
Old May 6th, 2010, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

ok. jack up the whole front end or one side at at a time. with the tire off the ground and the steering wheel locked put you hands on the tire at the 9 and 3'oclock positons and wiggle the tire back and forth like someone is wiggling the wheel back and forth if there is any slack your tie rods are most likely wore. you can also check your ball joints while its up by trying to wiggle the tire from the 12 to 6'oclock position. if my instructions are confusing i will talk u through it over the phone if you like
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chiltons manuals are alot more in depth than haynes imo. check out the chiltons manual and it should be more helpful.
Old May 7th, 2010, 7:14 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BretNasty
ok. jack up the whole front end or one side at at a time. with the tire off the ground and the steering wheel locked put you hands on the tire at the 9 and 3'oclock positons and wiggle the tire back and forth like someone is wiggling the wheel back and forth if there is any slack your tie rods are most likely wore. you can also check your ball joints while its up by trying to wiggle the tire from the 12 to 6'oclock position. if my instructions are confusing i will talk u through it over the phone if you like
Well thanks but i already did...thats one reason i know i have bad tie rods! And all the old timers ive talked to said to replace everything because when you put new on old the new parts will put extra strain on the new parts and ware them out faster. Really all i need is for someone to confirm this who isnt almost senile...ive been fixing vehicles since i was six so your not going to lose me if you start explaining anything.
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

ok well check this out. i disagree with the old timers in that respect. now a days just about all part are made in china or places similar. the quality just isn't what it used to be. i'v replaced some steering parts where the new one had just as much play in it as the old one had wear. replace just whats wore. you should be fine.
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Slimjim,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

I agree with BretNasty on this one. Generally, the outer tie rod ends, as well as the lower ball joints, tend to wear out much faster than other suspension components.

A couple things you could try is to carefully mark the old TREs positioning on the system. Perhaps use spray paint to mark the parts where they join, so that you can install the new ones accurately enough that an alignment isn't needed.

Of course, if you are installing new tires, an alignment is in order.
Old May 10th, 2010, 5:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by therewolf
Hi Slimjim,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

I agree with BretNasty on this one. Generally, the outer tie rod ends, as well as the lower ball joints, tend to wear out much faster than other suspension components.

A couple things you could try is to carefully mark the old TREs positioning on the system. Perhaps use spray paint to mark the parts where they join, so that you can install the new ones accurately enough that an alignment isn't needed.

Of course, if you are installing new tires, an alignment is in order.

No on the new tires...no money at the moment...its on the list...ANYWAY! Do you know of any manufacturers in the USA that make parts? Id rather buy US and pay twice as much than pay a bunch off middle men all over the world! So basically all i need to replace is the inner and outer and the other bushings and ill be ok,then? Because that would cut my price down ALLOT! I always heard chevy was cheap on parts but knowing me i probably have a limited edition or some BS like that! 64$ for a new idler arm! 38$ for the pitman arm! Ive been checking everything out on this truck and i dont think its cheaper than any other vehicle! If anything more expencive!