Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What Year of a Chevy Truck Should I BUY?

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2009, 11:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Year of a Chevy Truck Should I BUY?

I'm going to Mexico this summer for two months and I'll be pulling a 14' trailer that will weigh somewhere around 3,500 lbs and need help with the truck.

I want a Chevy but I need help.

I can only afford used.

I need descent gas mileage.

Has to have 4x4 and AC.

What is the most reliable?

Someone told me to get a Chevy truck with a 305 and a towing package from around 88-94. Is this right?

Please help as I've been looking for months now and hearing many different things.
Old March 21st, 2009, 8:16 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

305?? 88-94?? who told you that?

Pretty much any year would do you if you got it configured right. What is your price range because you are most likely going to want to get as new as possible
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Also, pay attention to the specific rear-end ratio for your vehicle, it's listed with your VIN, and thru the coding inside the glovebox-373s for long distances, 410s for hauling heavy for short distances.

92chevysilvy's right, the new Vortec V8s offer a lot of advantages in economy and power.
The year you buy isn't as important as WHAT you buy. I wholeheartedly suggest you stay away from electronic controls for the 4WD shifter, for instance. There's a good reason the guys who use 4WD a lot stay with a manual 4WD shifter, dependability.(Of course you will want an automatic transmission, don't confuse them.)

Remember, it's a buyer's market right now, visit craiglist, and shop around.
Old March 21st, 2009, 8:26 PM
CF Active Member

I disagree on the electronic 4wd selector. As long as it isn't a 99-05 pickup the electronic 4wd selector should not give you problems. The only time I have ever seen someone have problems with the electronic type is when they go for five years or so without ever using the 4wd then trying to use it. The electronic buttons to the right of the steering column on the 95 or 96-98 pickups have always performed perfectly for me. Just remember, use the 4wd sometimes. This is from my experience on the electronic 4wd selector. Plus it's shift on the fly so you don't have to come to a complete stop and put it in neutral. I have had problems with a 1999, 2001, and 2004 that has the electronic selector on the left of the steering column though.
Old March 21st, 2009, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default So not 88-94?

Just wondering? What part don't you agree with? No to 88-94 or no to a 305?

Also, are you suggesting an automatic transmission? And if so, why?

I want to pay less than $2,500, which in my area I can do. I'm looking for specifics from anyone. What year, in those years, would anyone suggest?

Thanks for your help,

ChevyNomad
Old March 21st, 2009, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the help everyone and please keep the info coming.

I'm a college kid and don't know squat. What year, type, configuration/ I don't know a lot about this and I'm looking for specifics to research. Thanks again.

Nomad
Old March 21st, 2009, 8:37 PM
CF Active Member

He figured you would want an automatic because, who wouldn't? But a manual is not a problem at all as long as you don't mind shifting. A 96-98 should be close to your price range. A pre-96 wouldn't be bad either. It's just a 96-98 would have quite a bit more power, better fuel mileage, and better reliability, and the ergonomics are better.
Old March 21st, 2009, 8:41 PM
CF Active Member

If you get a pre-96, any truck from 1988-1993 will pretty much be the same. I would suggest a 350. Don't get a 4.3 v6 no matter what anyone tells you about them having enough power because they don't. I was just wondering, how will the trailer weigh after you leave mexico? About eight more people...i mean eight hundred pounds more?
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:53 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

305 V8 is just not a easy engine to find and there are NO advantages to them. You could probably pick up something with a 350 and 4:10's.

As someone else said, it doesn't matter what year you buy, you are just going to want something as new as you can afford with the right amount of power for your needs and in decent condition. And I have to agree with 98white5.0, there is a reason that you don't see any 4.3's with trailer hitches.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites

Go here
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:00 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1078441083.html

Quick Reply: What Year of a Chevy Truck Should I BUY?