Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What Year of a Chevy Truck Should I BUY?

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got It

Thanks guys,

350 is as good as 305; newer up to 98 is best; is there a certain year you wouldn't buy?

Nomad
Old March 22nd, 2009, 8:18 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

I can't think of any years that would really screw you over. With you price range, if it is still running, it will probably keep on running. I'm not sure how much vehicles cost in your area as opposed to my area, but I can't find anything 4wd newer than 95
Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
CF Active Member

Usually 4wd's keep their value much longer than 2wd's so the 90 pickup that 92chevysilvy found is an example of what you will find in your price range. Anything around that is pretty good and will be reasonably priced. And with the 305 and 350 thing, you will have a tough time getting a 305. The one I got was just by chance. It would be hard for you to tell a difference between the two motors since they are the same motor with a different bore size. Outside appearance is the same. I can notice the power difference between the two but it's not much. There won't be much of a mpg difference when you're pulling a trailer. Prices will be better if you check in a place that people don't use trucks very much. There won't be a demand for them so the price will be lower as opposed to a rural area.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 4:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Unless you enjoy shifting inordinately or excessively, you're going to find that in the used market the nicer vehicles which come with the automatic trannies and all the goodies(which cost a fortune at the dealer) are priced very close to the manual shifting, no-extras versions. Welcome to the magic of the used market. I stick wholeheartedly by what I've said about electronic 4WD shifters, I haven't met a person yet with one who hasn't had a problem with the older systems.
Engine size isn't as important as having the V8 engine itself, avoid a 6cylinder for towing, as well as 4WD, as they aren't extremely common.(in Silverados, YES, they DO exist)If you check the engine power differences in the different V8 sizes of the "L"-block, (the V8 small block family in the years to which you are referring) You'll find admitted differences in horsepower and gas consumption, but not enough, IMO, to make a difference in influencing your selection.
While a 14' trailer isn't enough to justify your having 410 gears, if you're willing to accept the lower gas mileage on the top end, they're nice. 373s are great compromise workhorses, and will readily suffice for lighter loads, and better mileage.
The real trick is finding an overall package which fits all your needs in good condition. If you keep your eyes open, you may find something a little newer for the CASH.(Look for sales by original owners.)--Good luck--
Old March 22nd, 2009, 6:56 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Hey...Uh...Rivereye, We had an 02 and 03 Z71's that never had any problems with the 4wd
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
CF Active Member

Wink

Originally Posted by rivereye
I stick wholeheartedly by what I've said about electronic 4WD shifters, I haven't met a person yet with one who hasn't had a problem with the older systems.
Hello, my name is Jared. I drove a 1997 z71 for a year without a problem. My father owns that truck as of now and has been driving it for at least five years. Still no problem. I think it does have something to do with the frequency of using the 4wd though. Now you have met two people who haven't had a problem with an electronic 4wd.

I'm not saying there haven't been any problems with the electronic systems, because I have heard of a few also.