Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

04 Hoe starts then immediately dies

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2013, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Hoe starts then immediately dies

I've looked and looked but have not found any answers. my 04 hoe intermittently wants to start. when it fails to start it will fire up for a second then die. I know your not supposed to but I've pumped the gas a couple of times and you can smell gas fumes coming from the exhaust. the last time it did this I waited a couple of hours then tried it again after several failed attempts it finally started. I did this again today with no luck. it just fires for a second then dies. its the 5.3 with 226k on the drive train. I hate Gremlins!
Old September 9th, 2013, 8:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Could possibly be a failing fuel pump? Just a guess.
Old September 10th, 2013, 9:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Start by troubleshooting the fuel system with the fuel pump. Do a methodical check on it. Do you have codes? Check engine light on? Check for codes anyway.

John
Old September 10th, 2013, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

When Advance Auto checked the codes two wks ago because the check engine light was on it showed; TPS, Knock sensors, and Mass air flow sensors. All of which are just a starting point but not definitive as the main problem so says the rep that checked the codes. All the local parts stores will check the codes for you, but they wont reset the computer unless you buy the parts. That's a lot of parts to buy at a guess on what the problem may be. Gonna c if someone can turn the key for me so I can check n c if the fuel pump is kicking in. If I could get the connector off the TPS I would check it for corrosion since I was also told to check that, however the little snap connector is being a pita to disconnect.
TBC
Old September 10th, 2013, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

Just checked the Fuel pump I cant hear it cause to much background noise (getting a new roof on the house), but when I put my hand on the tank I can feel it spin up then it shuts off I guess once it reaches pressure. Got the clips loose n cleaned the connectors for the Mass air flo sensor, n the TPS. They were both clean w no corrosion.
TBC
Old September 10th, 2013, 3:01 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The pump could be spinning up but not building pressure, need to check the pressure at the fuel rail....Harbor Freight sells fuel pressure testers