Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Well, I'm less mint.

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2011, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, I'm less mint.

Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while. Some of you might remember this: https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/my-minty-2000-tahoe-35172/

My grandma was driving the Tahoe and was going into the left turn lane. Unfortunately, she got a teeny bit too close and broke a Chevrolet Silverado's mirror off with the Tahoe's.

Carnage:

Nothing was removing the black transfer (Tried HD UNO and Meguiar's Ultimate Compound), So I used Turtle Wax rubbing compound. As some of you know, that crap is only slightly better than wetsanding. I had to follow up with HD UNO and it came out like this:

And after dressing the black with 3D Trim Care and no camera flash:

Still dented, but the passenger side door is a mess and needs dings filled and a repaint. At least by my standards
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Ouch! no 80's art to cover that up...
I doubt you can get access to the interior of the window frame to try and push out the dents.... I had a similar dent on my 97 Tahoe on the roll of the hood above the grill and was able to use a spoon (yes a table spoon ) and a mallet to pound and round it out to near perfection.
you could check with a dent busters place and see what they have to say ( other then don't let grandma drive the truck no more )
Old January 20th, 2011, 9:23 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Those paintless dent repair guys could do it.
Old January 21st, 2011, 12:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think PDR can fix this because of the location. There is metal reinforcement welded from the factory behind these dents, so I think they would have to filled and the door would need to be resprayed. The passenger door has somehow accumulated dings over the years, so it is in need of refurbishing.
Old January 21st, 2011, 7:12 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Could always ask your insurance co to cover the mirror damage portion and when its in the shop get the shop to work with you on the non-mirror related work...