Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Z71

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2007, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z71

I love the interior of the Z71 but I really can't stand the fender flares. How difficult would it be to remove them?Some great discussions and comments on this forum but I can't find many comments about the Z71 and wondering why.
Old February 10th, 2007, 4:33 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Z71

I like the interior too. I wanted those black and brown leather seats! My reply is based on assumption only. But based on how adhesives are used everywhere, I suspect that the flares are merely "stuck" to the fenders. If that is the case, you need a hair dryer, anda length ofthin monofilament fishing line. You start at one end of the flare by heating it enough to lift an edge so you can insert the line under the flare. Then while continuing to heat a small area at a time, gently pull the line along the adhesive strip so to separate it from the body. When you get enough of the flare off so you can actually grip it, you can pull on the flare itself to separate it from the body. Use lots of hair dryer heat, and it will come off. This also works to debadge the rest of the vehicle. When you're done, you may have adhesive residue remaining. This can be slowly removed using paint thinner, alcohol, or "Goo Gone". Do not use acetone or laquer thinner. Both work extrodinarily well, but may also remove paint too.
Old February 10th, 2007, 5:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There isn't alot of discussion on the Z71 because it is new and there haven't been alot sold, at least not to our members. Not sure about the install of the flares yet. Most things are taped on now. Removal should be simple in any case. don't let the flares stop you from getting the 71
Old February 11th, 2007, 12:01 AM
CF Junior Member

just got my Z71 last week. the body style is more integrated than it used to be. the bumper and lower fascia are molded to complement the fender flares. if you remove them, the front and rear bumpers will look kinda weird IMO. like they're too wide or something.
i also like a clean shaved look and was never a fan of fender flares or the offroad style. butthe "beefy" look is growing on meand i think it will look pretty sweet after i drop it.
Old February 11th, 2007, 2:36 PM
CF Veteran

Get us some pics of the newintegrated flares please.
Old February 11th, 2007, 4:44 PM
CF Junior Member

i just moved in and i haven't unpacked alot of boxes. my camera is somewhere around here! sorry these aren't very good. i had to use my phone.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6659/F0738177159F43EF9DCD605F09EA564F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6659/6E16EEA5BBE74C88B059BF71C24B9317.jpg[/IMG]
Old February 11th, 2007, 5:00 PM
CF Addict

I see exactly what you are talking about. I too agree that it would look very strange to remove the fender trim!
Old February 12th, 2007, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Very interesting Hardin, thank you for the reply. Joko Inow understandwhat you are referring to that they are using a differet front and rear bumper. I went to theChevydealerto see if I could live with the fender flairs and I have to say I really don't like them. I plan on 24's because the wheel well is large now and the stupid add on makes them look even bigger. I really like the two tone seats, brushed aluminum dash pieces, chrome door handles, grill etc. of the Z71.I guess I could just purchase an LT3 and add everthing but the two tone seats I'm not clear on how to do that. Orpurchase the Z71 and try toget used to it.
Suggestions?
Old February 12th, 2007, 1:44 PM
CF Junior Member

knowing how GM likes to package certain options together and not others... i would expect to go the LOOONG way in getting what you want.
buy the LTZ or LT3 and separately order seats. you'd probably put your stock ones on Ebay or something.
OR you could take the rig to a custom auto upolstery shop and get the center panels replaced on each seat. that actually might be easier and turn out super nice.
unless you get the hook up... i don't see that particular Tahoe comming out of the factory.
good luck braddah.
Old February 12th, 2007, 5:17 PM
CF Active Member

looks nice, but why do you want to lower a 4x4 Z71? just wondering.

Quick Reply: Z71