Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 5.3L Suburban -- where to fill coolant?

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2010, 5:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 5.3L Suburban -- where to fill coolant?

I'm at 50K on my 2007 K1500 Suburban which is where I normally flush the coolant and trans. Yes I know this is earlier than the recommended intervals, and I know about adding the pellets. There is no radiator cap; where do you refill the coolant? First vehicle I've owned where this isn't obvious (and this one is #55 of 57 I've owned, so I'm hardly new to this).

Heck, as long as I'm here -- is there a regular radiator drain on the bottom, or is there some new complicated way to do this, too? I didn't think to look earlier today while I was under there.

Thanks!
Old February 19th, 2010, 6:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how full is your reservoir? i've never heard of there not being a radiator cap. im not sure if gm has changed alot but there should be a petcock on the bottom of the radiator it might be hidden.
Old February 19th, 2010, 9:22 PM
CF Active Member

Well, now you have heard of it: there is no radiator cap.

A couple hours ago a friend told me he filled his diesel's coolant system through the reserve tank. I read somewhere else about someone pulling the thermostat and filling up there. Surely there is something less half-baked than this???
Old February 19th, 2010, 9:42 PM
CF Senior Member

looking in the manual on pages 462 and on it seems that yes you have to fill through the "coolant surge tank". it also says the stock coolant is good for 5 years or 150000 miles... there may be a drain plug on the block.
Old February 19th, 2010, 9:59 PM
CF Veteran

I have the newest body style Chevy, and i have a cap on my Radiator. That's odd you don't. but Chevys SUV's are more stylish than th eold body style. Guess they think if you don't buy the Truck, your not gonna do your own maintainence.
Old February 19th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1XknPAfZhc...ban+engine.jpg

porbably unbolt that plactic piece on top and its right there.. if not just fill the reserve tank..it all goes into the same place lol
Old February 20th, 2010, 8:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Fill it from the expansion tank. You will have to run the truck, turn the heat to high, and then fill the tank again after the new coolant circulates. Of course if you are just topping up you don't need to do this.
Old February 20th, 2010, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

No drain for the radiator on mine. Took it to Jiffylube and they use a machine that they insert into the overflo tank that sucks out the old while putting in the new. Cost me around 100 bucks.
Old February 21st, 2010, 8:51 AM
CF Active Member

Thanks folks, I guess I'll use the reservoir tank.

There is so much plastic under, above, and around this engine... crazy. No drain plug evident. Because of the front transfer case and axles I can't even see enough of the block to tell whether there is a drain plug somewhere on it. I may be firing up the fluid vac and draining it the Jiffy-Lube way myself...

About that plastic strip -- that was the first place I looked... Nothing under there but more of the metal support that sticks out of either end. Seems to be useless.

Convenient how the quoted service lifetime is juuuuust enough to get you out of warranty, isn't it?
Old February 21st, 2010, 1:48 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by McGuireV10
.....I know this is earlier than the recommended intervals, and I know about adding the pellets......
I'll bite....pellets? What pellets? .....I've got 65,000 on on my formerly oft driven, now weekend ride.

Quick Reply: 07 5.3L Suburban -- where to fill coolant?