Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 Tahoe Rear Locks and Rear Hatch

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2011, 6:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told it was the window button assembly on the inside of the hatch door that needed to be replaced. The dealership didn't say anything about the button on the door armrest. I can open/lock the hatch, just not the window.
Old January 13th, 2011, 9:14 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Are you referring to the push button just below the window on the outside?
Old January 14th, 2011, 7:38 AM
CF Beginner

Yes. The button pushes in but it wont open the window.
Old January 14th, 2011, 3:27 PM
Administrator

Oh that thinga magigi. Did some searching but couldn't find the button assy that you need. Your parts dept can get it for you and then gmpartsdirect.com and others can price it for you.

Here's an interesting link that might help get to it: http://www.chefseattle.com/blog/site...ck-how-to-fix/
Old January 15th, 2011, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks. The dealership said the part is $250 + installation, it will have to wait along with the replacement fog lamps, another $200 says the dealership....UGH! At least the hatch does open
There has to be a discount parts catalog out there some place for T-hoe's & Burbs, these $200 fixes are killing me! LOL
Old January 15th, 2011, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

I did some searching and found this place, has anyone ordered from them?
http://www.chevypartstore.com/
Old January 15th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Administrator

I haven't but once you get a P/N, I'd try several sources for best price.
Old January 19th, 2011, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

The part is called an Actuator. There is a piece broke on mine and wouldn't you know, you can't just buy the piece and so far, the only place I can get one is the dealership for around $250. Hitting the wrecking yards this weekend...wish me luck!
Old October 9th, 2013, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the same problem with my 2004 Tahoe. rear doors and hatch will not always lock using the FOB or the door lock switch. They always unlock. I swapped relays and every thing worked fine during several tests. Thought I had it fixed. NOT. Couldn't lock the rear doors or hatch next time I took it out. I took the cover off the rear hatch and tested the power source with a meter. It always supplied power to unlock but nothing for locking. I pulled and reset any fuses related to locking in the fuse block (two fuses). Retested the locks and as of now it locks - unlocks. Don't know when it will fail again. Be assured the dealer would have swapped lock accurators for several hundred dollars. You can't blame a lock accurator when it is not getting power.

Hope this helps someone.
BDee
The following users liked this post:
Anthony Chambers (May 2nd, 2021)
Old October 9th, 2013, 9:11 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BDee
I have had the same problem with my 2004 Tahoe. rear doors and hatch will not always lock using the FOB or the door lock switch. They always unlock. I swapped relays and every thing worked fine during several tests. Thought I had it fixed. NOT. Couldn't lock the rear doors or hatch next time I took it out. I took the cover off the rear hatch and tested the power source with a meter. It always supplied power to unlock but nothing for locking. I pulled and reset any fuses related to locking in the fuse block (two fuses). Retested the locks and as of now it locks - unlocks. Don't know when it will fail again. Be assured the dealer would have swapped lock accurators for several hundred dollars. You can't blame a lock accurator when it is not getting power.

Hope this helps someone.
BDee
Welcome to the forum BDee,
Thanks for the info...I wonder if since there are 2 fuses that maybe one was for the unlock function, and it was not making good contact and your reseating fixed it...

Quick Reply: 2003 Tahoe Rear Locks and Rear Hatch