Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 Tahoe Rear Locks and Rear Hatch

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2010, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Tahoe Rear Locks and Rear Hatch

I have a 2003 Tahoe and the rear door locks and rear hatch and window will not unlock. They will lock if I am successful in getting them unlocked, but they are sporatic. Once in a while they will work and then they stop working. I have had them worked on at least three times and I believe they replaced the actuator twice. I thought it was temperature related, but that does not seem to be a constant. I have read where several persons have had a problem with the rear hatch only, but not the rear door locks also. Has anyone experienced this off and on problem or know of a solution?
Old December 23rd, 2010, 3:52 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum,
check the connections at all the door switches and at the drivers door for good seating, it would be my guess you are getting an intermittent connection
Old December 26th, 2010, 9:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you ever figure out a fix for this issue? my 04 tahoe back doors and barn doors will not lock/unlock. i have to do it manually. remotes don't work, nor do the door lock buttons on the driver / passenger doors.

any ideas??
Old December 27th, 2010, 9:15 AM
CF Beginner

The locks have not worked for about 2 weeks now and had been working prior to that for about 2 weeks and this has been happening off and on now for about 6 months. Strangely enough, it was about 27 degrees this morning and I got them working again by toggling the drivers side switch on and off, but cannot get the key fob to work the rear doors and hatch. I'm not sure how to check the connections at all the door switches. What does that involve?
Old December 27th, 2010, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

I have not figured it out yet. Unfortunately, I cannot unlock my rear hatch manually. In their infinite wisdom, the engineers did not put an inside release for the rear hatch. If I cannot get the locks to work my rear door and window is useless and it is a pain when you need it.
Old December 27th, 2010, 8:43 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

If the GMT 800s are similar to the 900s, then it might be a little module that's gone bad. That's what happened on my 2007.
Old January 10th, 2011, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ps.

sister fixed her 04 with this issue. was a short in the wiring. $300 to fix at dealer. this is not a fuse or relay issue.
Old January 12th, 2011, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

My 05 window wont lock/unlock but the door does with the key fob without any trouble. Dealership said $300 to fix, ouch! They said it was the whole button thingy. Excuse my termanoligy but, I can't remember what they called it LOL
Old January 12th, 2011, 5:44 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

If "the whole button thingy" is the switch module in the door armrest, it should be a relatively easy to replace. I think it just a lift/pry out module and then disconnect the connectors.

If so, here's one source: http://www.switchdoctor.net/products...tch-511-3.html

Note that this one might not be exactly what you need depending on options.

Also might check for a fuse although the dealer should have done that but doesn't cost anything to recheck.
Old January 12th, 2011, 7:59 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I was able to find replacement window switches for my sisters 03 suburban on eBay and they were pretty reasonable

Quick Reply: 2003 Tahoe Rear Locks and Rear Hatch