Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 Tahoe LT A/C Trouble

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2015, 2:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2005 Tahoe LT A/C Trouble

I have an 05 Tahoe that has a leaking shrader core. Last year I put in a can of R-134 and tightened down that cap real good and it worked great.
Yesterday, I went to turn the air on again for the 1st time. ( I should mention I have a 3 zone climate control system in this truck.)
I unscrewed the cap and heard hissing so I knew it still had some but not enough to engage thee compressor, so I added 2 small cans and that got the compressor to engage but short cycle. I then proceeded with a third, and then a 4th can. Every time the compressor engages, The gagues pull down low and it continues to short cycle. I am getting cool air, but something else is going on I believe. I don't want to just keep pumping it full of refrigerant unless you think that 4 small cans isn't enough for this truck. I should mention that I had all 3 zones calling for 60 degrees with the fan on high and recirculating cabin air.
Besides replacing the bad Schrader core, can you guys think of anything that I should look into before taking it to the shop later Monday morning?
Thanks in advance for your time, advice, expetise, and help!
Respectfully,
David B
Hvacdoc1@hotmail.com
Palmyra, Pa 17078
Old May 4th, 2015, 8:27 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

First you should have a set of refrigerant gauges to accurately charge your system. You need to know the amount of a full charge by weight also. That information used to be on a decal above the radiator. Not sure it still is. To get accurate readings, you should have a fan blowing into the grill. It's hard to diagnose the problem without knowing what the high and low pressures are.