Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2016, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anotherbill
My 2007 Suburban has the famous crack (about 9 inches and growing!), the peeling chrome door latches (that cut the fingers) and the flimsy power socket covers as well. I'm having my friend with a body shop replace the door latches just because I don't want to give GM a reward for bad behavior, but the dashboard may be a dealer thing. Now I'd like to know if the replacement will be any better????? That is going to be a LOT of money. I spoke with a GM rep and he pointed out that there is no recall on the dash but if there is in the future they would reimburse me since I now have a case record. The trick is to go to the GM web site and do the "contact us" bit. Not only did they reply, they actually called me and wanted to know what was up. They didn't actually do anything, but the call was a first.

Bill
I absolutely love it - I join this forum to use the search button to research the cracked dash and then read Bill's rant above, I cut my fingers the 2nd day I bought the used 'burb and my wife broke off the power socket cover on day 3; only thing you missed was mentioning your second row passenger A/V control ***** falling off when your kids slid in and out of the 'burb. priceless....
Old July 10th, 2016, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought a used 2009 Tahoe LTZ. It came with the cracked dash and the Honda dealer I bought it from told me "They all do that." I thought that wasn't likely. Ha.

At any rate, it doesn't really make sense to replace the dash with the same kind of thing that already failed. It's time for someone who knows materials to devise a coating we can put on, glue down, etc that will stabilize the broken bits into a solid dash.
Old July 10th, 2016, 2:08 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Go creative and use self adhesive vinyl shelf liner..... a faux granite might be nice.....
Old July 10th, 2016, 3:40 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Based on the amount of displacement that occurred when mine cracked. I think that the dash is in a highly stressed position after installation. If that's true, then any design will ultimately fail. I noticed that the mounting tabs are slotted. Maybe the installers are tightening the nuts too tite to allow any movement which allows body movement forces to be transmitted to the dash.
Old July 10th, 2016, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

My 2011 is cracking in the center by the speaker and at the passenger air bag. It stated as a hair line and now has separated. Center crack is starting on the near side of the center speaker too.Dealer was no help wanted $1100. to replace it. I bought this certified used and purchased an extended warrantee. Not covered. You can easily see it is the material that is the problem. My dash will swell up an inch in the sun and then shrink to normal at normal temp. I'm sure winter will shrink more.
Old July 10th, 2016, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Go creative and use self adhesive vinyl shelf liner..... a faux granite might be nice.....
LOL! New meaning to "Like a Rock". Perfect.
Old August 7th, 2016, 9:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cfilly

To save you guys some time, the fake Chevy reps on here are worthless. There is no need to send them your info via PM. You can do exactly what they do. They call your "preferred" dealer, tell them what's going on, and issue you a number. That's it. End of story for them. I was able to get my replacements over a year ago because of the relationship I have with the service manager. The deal that you get, if any, all depends on the relationship you have with them.[/B]

Hope this helps...
I beg to differ. My dealer refused to replace the dash and after allowing the GM Rep here on this board to do a followup within days I had a new replacement dash. NO COST to me what so ever. My dealer asked me if I had friends in high places...I just told them the truth that I contacted GM with my concern and they agreed to replace the dash. I bought a 09 Silverado 2500 HD with the same issue but I paid for the repairs my self and it took right at 2 hours for the body shop to do it. I just bought a 2010 Suburban LTZ and it too has a cracked dash so I will be heading to the dealer looking to see what they can do for me. Sorry it hasn't worked out for you but they have always treated me very well.
Old August 8th, 2016, 8:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it cant hurt to involve the GM reps on here. It definitely did NOT work out for me and the GM reps on here certainly did NOT go out of their way to move any mountains. It was all left up solely to the service manager at Carl Black Roswell, who was a pretty slimy guy. He told me had I "spent more money at his dealer, he might be willing to do something more for me".

Glad it worked for you but its certainly not the norm. Your best bet is still to buddy up with your local service manager and hope for the best. Which is an UNBELIEVABLE necessity based on the costs of these GM vehicles !

Hey GM, the internet is still not unplugged, how much has this cost you in lost repeat sales ?
Old August 9th, 2016, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

Default How do I contact GM reps??

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello supply_guard,

Our team would be glad to work with your dealership toward a potential resolution. We're available via private message and only need your VIN, contact information, and the name of the involved dealership to get started. I do genuinely apologize for any trouble you've experienced as a result and hope you hear from you soon.

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
How do I contact you Jasmine??
Old August 9th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

supply_guard Click on Chevrolet Customer Service's name in one of there post and it will drop down a menu, click on send private message.
I have cut and pasted a link below you can also try it, but clinking on CCS's name in a post will get you the info you need.
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/pri...=newpm&u=37376

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????