Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 tahoe/suburban. Any regrets in purchasing?

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2014, 8:02 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 tahoe/suburban. Any regrets in purchasing?

I am looking to upgrade to the 2015 tahoe. Anybody that bought one have any regrets? What did you drive before? Any must have options or options you wished you had gotten?
I am looking at an ltz in red?
Old October 22nd, 2014, 8:30 AM
CF Senior Member

Anybody with thoughts? Is the ride and steering that much better?
Is it that quiet?
Old October 22nd, 2014, 8:52 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well

As I'm sure most people here are aware I did not have a 'good' experience with my Tahoe.

However, even if you do like them.... wait 12 months. They depreciate like it's there job...

$60k new becomes $45k used very quickly. while retaining factory warranty...

I don't know anyone who would willing burn $15,000 in depreciation and think it was a good idea...

Sorry, $14,000 first year. I was off by 1k taking a stab in the dark.

2015*Chevrolet*Tahoe 5 Year Cost of Ownership

Year 2 is only 3 grand as is year 3.

so looks like 1 year old is the winning deal.

of course this site, puts 1st year at $15,500 for a LTZ

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Chevrolet-...4/cost-to-own/

Depreciation isn't a problem specific to GM... use it to your advantage.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; October 22nd, 2014 at 8:56 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 8:33 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

And how's that different from any other vehicle? Did you check out the Tesla?
Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Not really concerned about depreciation. I am inquiring about the overall
Mechanics of the truck?
Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:34 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Typical first year depreciation for ANY vehicle is 15-20%. But I'm sure he knows that.
Old October 24th, 2014, 7:25 AM
CF Addict

Default Depreciation

Yes, all vehicles depreciate. (well, not some, but it's rare, and not usually until they are 30+ years old).

You'll notice the line "Depreciation isn't a problem specific to GM... use it to your advantage. " (I swear I'm not picking, specifically on GM this time).

Full size SUVs are just at the top of the depreciation list, while pickups and 4-door sedans are near the bottom...

Unfortunately for me, I do track Tesla's (Model S) depreciation... which at the moment is damn near none...

I search quite a few sites for a 2013-14 used 85, spec'd the way I want... and they are only $8-10k cheaper than new...

When you factor the $7,500 tax credit in... when buying a new $100,000 car, $2,000 off to buy 'used' vs. 'new' is a no brainier... you buy new.
(tax credit only applies to new).

Of course, living in a state where it snows... the newer AWD model, which adds AWD, ohh and freakin' auto pilot... and 10 more miles of range... yea, so of course I NEED that one now... Elon's even stated; if a motor fails, you can drive on a single motor to safety/repair center. (it uses 2 motors for AWD)

But, back to depreciation... in the full size SUV market... I would buy one year old.
It saves money and any factory issues should have been fixed by the first owner by then.

I just read you're not concerned about depreciation, in which case, I have not personally driven the 2015 yet, however being a first year model, my suggestion would be to wait for the 2016s. All the lab testing in the world doesn't equal a year on the road, in the real world.

You are also going to run into the issue of is it a 6 speed? is it an 8 speed with the 2015... the 2016s will all be 8 speed automatics.

And no, first year issues aren't GM specific either

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=2015+Tahoe+Review+Video

Mechanically, I believe it's still the GMT 900 platform? 950? so it's not a huge overhaul. the 5.3 is a carry over with some new bits bolted to it...

So, you should be seeing the same reliability as previous ones. the 2015 isn't a complete redo, it's new sheet metal and and updated interior.

People on this forum have had reboot issues w/the head-unit, I'm not personally a fan of the new exterior, it looks like a hearse, but interior does look better... I haven't actually had the chance however to touch one in person yet... generally speaking this where GM was lacking. Interiors looked good, but only until you touched the materials. The 2015 (according to reviews) fixed this issue.

The Denali comes with the magnetic ride suspension... and a heads up display.... and a 6.2L.

However, I don't know if you can get true 4WD w/the 6.2 or they are all AWD.
(I've needed 4 low in my Tahoe before, and am unwilling to do w/out it).

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; October 24th, 2014 at 7:44 AM.
Old October 24th, 2014, 10:04 AM
CF Addict

Default Competition

If it's an consolation; i agree with this guy

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/2015-fo...180000694.html
Old January 17th, 2015, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

Before anyone can offer a suggestion on another's vehicle we would need to know what you are using it for.
I need an eight passanger vehicle that also has room for a few hockey bags. I loved my 08 suburban so much better than my 03 Tahoe for the room and ride. So i bought a new 15LTZ for the new look expecting to keep all the things i loved.
Give me my old seats! The diverts seat is so narrow it pinches my thighs. I think I had to remove the rear seats twice in the 8 years I owned it. no problem. These new power fold seats cannot be removed and before you can power fold then you have to climb in and put down the head rests (so no advantage there). Al add I had to remove the storage box (see fold flat seats) from behind the rear seats because it pours moms groceries all over the parking lot because it slopes to the rear.
Give me my old ride. It's like riding inside of a kick drum. The roof flexes (tin cans) with each bump at low speed and vibrates at hwy speed. GMs solution is to strap the spare tire to the roof. Waiting on a fix.
Give someone else My Link. The most unfriendly useless voice activated radio I have ever tried to use. In 5000 km have not once been able to enter an address or make a call with hands free. Even my kids can't figure it out.
Simple things missings like warm seats with remote start and being able to hands free text.
2015 Suburban: For the trendy upper crust but not for practical hockey mom's.
Old January 17th, 2015, 10:13 PM
CF Senior Member

What is the roof flex issue you are talking about?

Quick Reply: 2015 tahoe/suburban. Any regrets in purchasing?