Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 tahoe/suburban. Any regrets in purchasing?

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2015, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know the sound and feeling in your ears when some one puts a rear Window half way down while driving? That... only not as severe but very annoying. Appearant while driving down a rough road or at highway speeds depending on wind direction.
The dealer said that GM is aware of the issue and the test is to strap the spare tire to the roof and see if it goes away. They offered a kit available from a third party designed to improve it but GM had no guarantee on that.
I am patiently waiting for a solution. I guess nine years since the last change isn't enough time to test the body structure.
FYI. I have a sunroof and no DVD if anyone has the same issue I would like to know if it is the same set up.
Old January 18th, 2015, 10:07 AM
CF Senior Member

Do you have roof rack and rails? Did you try just using the rails without the spare tire? What is the aftermarket fix? I am looking at a new suburban, I was considering a tahoe. I'd like to know.

Is this problem limited to the burbs with sun roofs?

Last edited by blueinterceptor; January 18th, 2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old January 19th, 2015, 4:50 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Strap the spare.. To the roof?

I would LOVE to see some official GM documentation on this. I know they are a 1/2 assed kind of company, but a real GM document saying the fix is to "strap the spare to the roof" on a $70,000 SUV would totally make my day.

It seems GM Wants to play with the big boys in price, but backs up their top end cars with the same service as their bottom end cars...
Old January 21st, 2015, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I would LOVE to see some official GM documentation on this. I know they are a 1/2 assed kind of company, but a real GM document saying the fix is to "strap the spare to the roof" on a $70,000 SUV would totally make my day.

It seems GM Wants to play with the big boys in price, but backs up their top end cars with the same service as their bottom end cars...

I too would be blown away to see this in writing... I totally get the premiss of it for troubleshooting, but that *schick* is supposed to be done in beta testing... and never in a production model... this alone would give me pause on buying GM products... just wow...
Old January 22nd, 2015, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

Got my suburban back from the dealer today for the roof fix. Haven't drove it yet. Apparently the fix involved removing the head liner and re gluing the supports to the roof.
I'll let you all know.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

So any updates from 2015 owners? Go 2015 or better off with 2014 and earlier?
Old April 22nd, 2015, 7:58 PM
CF Senior Member

I now have a 2015 tahoe and suburban. Other than a lack of a nice blue color no real regrets.

The 2014 thru 07 looked better but that's where the drawback ended. The cars have noticeably better handling. Better power and much nicer interiors. We had a hard winter with plenty of snow. The new series like the ones before took everything in stride. I think the seats could use a little more cushioning. But this like the lack of a blue are personal preferences
Old April 23rd, 2015, 6:16 AM
CF Beginner

I have a Tahoe LTZ last July and it truly is a very nice vehicle, the interior is much improved, mileage is good and rides well. My mistake (I knew better) was not waiting a year or so until some of the new model problems were corrected. I've had multiple electrical issues, the transmission always seems to be looking for the next gear and throttle response is slow. It does have more power once the engine responds. Total time in the shop is close to 5 weeks while trying to correct steering wheel position sensor issues which causes all kinds of electrical problems.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 1:17 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by brinson
throttle response is slow. It does have more power once the engine responds.
This is probably due to the torque management that GM employs to reduce strain on the power train.
Old April 24th, 2015, 12:50 AM
CF Beginner

i have a 2015 Suburban LT. i love it. its quite, rides smooth, nice power and the fuel management is so much better then the older ones. i had a 2009 suburban. i also have a 2010 escalade esv. my best mpg average is 33.9 miles combined (95% hwy)

Quick Reply: 2015 tahoe/suburban. Any regrets in purchasing?