Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

3rd row bench seat stuck in upright position,,,need help lowering to get it out

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2013, 2:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 3rd row bench seat stuck in upright position,,,need help lowering to get it out

Hi guys, I looked but could not find a solution in my search.

I have an 07 Sub with a 3rd row split bench seat. The one side folded and pulled out with no problem. However the other side feels as if there is no cable tension to release the back to fold down. As many already know, if you don't have the back folded, it will not unlock to where you can release it from the floor to remove.

I have a long trip planned and need to pack the rear with cargo, dog, etc.
So if there is a quick and/or easy solution to either folding the seat to remove it, or just a way to remove it with the back in the upright position, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

TIA
Old December 14th, 2013, 12:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Question

No replies, and I still have the problem. I took it to a couple of places, and no one seems to know how to even get at the area where the cable is located to lower the seat so it can be pulled out.

ANYONE have this problem or know the fix?
Old December 14th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

try pushing on the back of the seat to engage the front clasps. if they are not locked in properly, the seat is designed to not lower.

Last edited by tech2; December 14th, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old December 14th, 2013, 1:35 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

My daughter had a similar problem with the third row seats in her 2004 Denali. I took it to the dealer and the guy worked on it for about 30 minutes before he was able to unlatch it. No charge.

As I have said in the past, a good relationship with the service department is priceless.
Old December 17th, 2013, 9:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
try pushing on the back of the seat to engage the front clasps. if they are not locked in properly, the seat is designed to not lower.
Well lets assume it is not seated/locked in properly. In theory that should not have anything to do with the ability to lower the backrest, correct? Mine will not fold down no matter how much I try to push/shake it while trying to lift the release for it to fold. Without it being folded down, I think there is some type of clap that will not release to let the seat be removed.

Originally Posted by 73shark
My daughter had a similar problem with the third row seats in her 2004 Denali. I took it to the dealer and the guy worked on it for about 30 minutes before he was able to unlatch it. No charge.

As I have said in the past, a good relationship with the service department is priceless.
Maybe your daughter is cute and that is the reason they helped her for free. Any dealer near me will not have a mechanic take a half an hour to fix something for a customer without charging for it.

I just wish I knew what the trick/fix is. The area that has a cover where presumably the release cable runs is up against the interior of the truck. If the cable is broken or has come loose, I have no clue how to get to it with the seat in place.

`
Old December 17th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Since I took it in I don't think my daughters looks had anything to do with it.
Old December 18th, 2013, 6:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Vector1
Well lets assume it is not seated/locked in properly. In theory that should not have anything to do with the ability to lower the backrest, correct?
`

Wrong. Imagine someone buckled into a seat that is not latched to the floor properly. that's the purpose of designing this safety feature.

if it is will not release, and is engaged properly, you will have to access the cables to be able to lower the seat or removal. Use the seat you can remove as a guide. It will be difficult.
Old December 18th, 2013, 4:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Wrong. Imagine someone buckled into a seat that is not latched to the floor properly. that's the purpose of designing this safety feature.

if it is will not release, and is engaged properly, you will have to access the cables to be able to lower the seat or removal. Use the seat you can remove as a guide. It will be difficult.
I know you are only trying to help so I must be explaining this wrong. One of the two 3rd row seats is locked into it's position without and wiggle room. Another words it is seated properly. Since the sequence for getting it out requires lowering the backrest first, that is where the problem is. If I could lower the backrest, step two could be accomplished so I could lift the seat out once it is folded. Trouble is that the backrest will not fold forward, and the latch that releases it feels like there is no tension.

`
Old December 18th, 2013, 8:20 PM
Super Moderator

I understand exactly what the problem is as I have had to fix the same problem.

typically, someone raises the seat up, pushing on the wrong lever. This partially unlatches the front clasps locking the seat in the up position. If the front is latched in properly and its still locked...you will have to access the cables that move the levers to allow the seat to lower.
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:09 AM
CF Junior Member

I understand exactly what the problem is as I have had to fix the same problem.

typically, someone raises the seat up, pushing on the wrong lever. This partially unlatches the front clasps locking the seat in the up position. If the front is latched in properly and its still locked...you will have to access the cables that move the levers to allow the seat to lower.
That is the dilemma, and I cannot figure out how to get to that area with the seat up against the side of the interior. There must be a way but I am not sure how to do it.

Quick Reply: 3rd row bench seat stuck in upright position,,,need help lowering to get it out