Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Constant Power vs. Reatained Accessory Power? Camera Install?

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2008, 1:50 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Constant Power vs. Reatained Accessory Power? Camera Install?

I posted this in a camera thread. But it truly is more about retained and constant power locations and benefits and disadvantages of both power types. Threefore i thought it would be good to have a thread on it.

A few questions since my last rear view camera install.

1. I know that the lockpick and other devices allow you to turn the camera on the screen at any time while driving, not just while in reverse. To do so I assume this has to be hooked up to constant power rather than retained accessory power. So, what did you use for the constant power/ground connections?

2. If you used constant power/ground, does it have an effect or rundown of the battery, or is it only on while the vehicle is actually running?

3. If you used a constant power I assume the connection of the reverse tail light wire to the power/hot reverse tail light wire isnt needed? Only a power/ground to a constant so the camera is always on? Then when putting the vehicle in reverse it puts the image on the screen?

4. Lastly, if you used retained accessory power what power and ground did you use?

If someone has any accessory plugged into constant power i would be interested to know what you have added to constant power and where exactly you tapped into the constant power and ground at. Any battery rundown?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 1st, 2008, 6:52 PM
e
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Constant Power vs. Reatained Accessory Power? Camera Install?

1. Why would you want to have your camera on a constant 12v source?

I would just put it to a ignition source and be done with it. Do you think you would everuse the camera with the truck off and the RAP still on?
Old May 1st, 2008, 8:12 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree....Putting your camera to 12V, could potentially run down the battery depending on how much it draws and how often you drive the truck. Also the camera would be on 24\7. Instead of just when you need it. Shortening the life of the product.
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM
CF Addict

Got ya guys! Thanks for the replies. I am not an electrical person by any means. In fact, it is about the last thing I prefer to work with. Anyways, I had just read several places of people using constant power. I really didnt understand what that meant. For instance, I guess I was thinking constant power was the camera was powered the entire time the vehicle was running. To whereas my camera is only on when I am in reverse. I had considered adding a lockpick down the road and thought it might be handy to have the option to turn the camera on at any time while driving.

Anyways, I know understand and thanks for thereplies
Old January 21st, 2015, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

Red face So -- how is it done.

I too would like to know how to turn the rear camera on (and off) when you are traveling down the road. You should be able to see your trailer and the hook up to make sure everything is connected as it should be. If you can help on how to accomplish this, I would be forever grateful. Thanks.

2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD four door diesel. Factory installed camera.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ahcrawford
I too would like to know how to turn the rear camera on (and off) when you are traveling down the road. You should be able to see your trailer and the hook up to make sure everything is connected as it should be. If you can help on how to accomplish this, I would be forever grateful. Thanks.

2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD four door diesel. Factory installed camera.
Welcome to the forum...
Its doable but you will need to add a relay to prevent the reverse lights from coming on when you activate the camera....
Wire the relay so that the cameras power line goes to the center pole and the vehicles normal power to the camera will go to the pole that is normally closed when the relay is not engaged...
Place your on demand power source to the other pole that will provide power to the camera when the relay is turned on....

It will likely be easier to put the relay near the camera....
You can use the power that goes to activate the relay to also power the camera but be mindful it could cause some interference or static in the camera, but it is the simplest 1 wire way to do it....

I will append this with, I have not done this myself but the principal is sound....there may be other things to consider like how the video display will know what source to receive...
Old January 22nd, 2015, 11:41 AM
CF Addict

Default backup camera

"Constant power" in the context of a backup camera could mean ignition switched power. and NOT "always on" power.

Many people (I'd say 99%) wire backup camera power to the reverse lights. and this works well enough, on when you backup.

However, say you want to check on your trailer while rolling... you can't because the camera is only on in reverse.

so, our terminology may not be identical, however I think we are all on the same page...

if you wire it to the reverse lights, you lose some functionality.

I don't think anyone would endorse wiring it hot 24/7.

I have both setups...

My Tahoe came factory w/a backup camera that shows on the screen in Reverse and for 30 seconds after you leave reverse. I like this.

My Jeep, I wired in a backup camera. it's wired to the reverse lights. It turns on/off instantly with the reverse lights.

Some newer vehicles can run the backup camera (*cough* *cough*, Tesla) while you are driving... why? why not?
Old January 23rd, 2015, 6:01 AM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A double throw switch will do the job too.
Old January 24th, 2015, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Smile ahcrawford

Thanks for all the input -- I figured that someone would have an idea. Thanks for responding.
Old January 27th, 2017, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

I just ran across your post explaining connections for a reverse camera. As you stated, I too directly connected to the reverse light. If I wanted complete functionality (ability to switch camera on while not in reverse) do you have recommendations on where to make these connections? I have a 2013 Tahoe.