Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Door Handle Meat Slicers :(

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2016, 10:21 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had mine replaced like 6-7 years ago, b/c of the flaking chrome. I haven't checked them recently, but I don't believe the 2nd set has started to flake. But I don't believe there was a diff./updated part number. But I'll check my old paperwork and will report back if I find anything useful.
Old August 24th, 2016, 12:17 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealer has one for $80 something. Part number from Rock Auto was superseded 03/2013. Dealer has newer part. I plan to go tomorrow after work.

In good news, I found out the Heat Pump Water Heater (water heater with an A/C unit on top) I bought last year, not only got me a $400 rebate from PP&L, but now a $150 rebate from the Gov't...

So... yay free money.
(I bought it to augment my propane one which was bleeding me dry!)

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; August 24th, 2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old August 25th, 2016, 11:38 AM
CF Addict

Default aquired

$94 part acquired...

appears to be less blade like than the 09 version.
Attached Thumbnails Door Handle Meat Slicers :(-14152124_10208771697422648_821148196_o.jpg  
Old August 27th, 2016, 12:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any interest in a billet version of this interior door handle ? Maybe 1 with an appropriate corner radius rather than a meat slicer ?

If so, I'd be very happy to take a look at it if someone wants to send me 1. Just email, we are always looking for more parts to make ! You would be given FREE billet handles to evaluate, if you can help.

Oh yeah, what else needs a looking into on these trucks ?
Old August 27th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

The problem as I see it is not that the door handle is made out of plastic but rather the poor removal of the mold flash which causes the plating to break down and form a sharp edge.

Going on next week to get my front psgr door replaced on my extended warranty.

I'm not sure but I think that the electroless plating process doesn't actually bond to the part as much as it just encapsulates it. So when the sharp edge of the flash wears thru, the two edges of the plating are exposed.
Old August 27th, 2016, 5:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just checked my paper work and looks like they replaced all 4 door handles, and the part# is 88880051 handle kit. But when I google that part number nothing shows up about door handles. Also I just checked the handles yesterday, and all is well, no flaking or sharp edges. The dealer covered them even though I was out of warranty back on 2011.
Old August 28th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Making these from billet aluminum would solve the problem entirely. Chrome plated plastic never works out very well, it always eventually peels and flakes, and its nasty stuff.

If anyone wants a billet version of this interior door handle, let me know.
Old August 29th, 2016, 2:52 PM
CF Addict

The ones in my Tesla are aluminum... and very nice, smooth, solid feeling... nothing I get from a GM

Maybe I should have harassed the dealer more... how far out of warranty were you? I'm just so sick of dealing w/them.
The door pop tool arrives today, but tonight is wing night, so hopefully this week I'll get it. For now some electrical tape protects the wife hands.
The best way to make an aluminum one would be to buy the $30 after market one and make a copy of that I guess..?

The door handle is chunky, smooth, and the pull action is great. It actually just triggers an electrical release, so you aren't actually pulling a cable... so no weight behind the pull.
This one isn't mine, I wouldn't be caught dead with a tan interior
Attached Images  

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; August 29th, 2016 at 2:55 PM.
Old August 29th, 2016, 2:56 PM
CF Addict

If the OEM one is $94, there's your starting point... how much are aluminum ones?
Old August 29th, 2016, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
The ones in my Tesla are aluminum... and very nice, smooth, solid feeling... nothing I get from a GM

The door handle is chunky, smooth, and the pull action is great. It actually just triggers an electrical release, so you aren't actually pulling a cable... so no weight behind the pull.
This one isn't mine, I wouldn't be caught dead with a tan interior
What did tesla do for a manual feature to open the door when the actuator fails.
I can imagine module problems that stop the power windows and door actuators....only the driver gets an out I bet.