Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Door Handle Meat Slicers :(

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2016, 6:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
If the OEM one is $94, there's your starting point... how much are aluminum ones?
I think we could make them from billet aluminum for about the same. It would be a show piece, too. Tesla would have nothing on it !

We make some pretty incredible machined parts, this 1 would be a slam dunk. Who has some OEM spares to send me ? Free parts for those who help ...
Old August 30th, 2016, 7:15 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
What did tesla do for a manual feature to open the door when the actuator fails.
I can imagine module problems that stop the power windows and door actuators....only the driver gets an out I bet.
According to the manual: (Paraphrased)

The interior handles on the front doors electronically open the door; if you continue pulling them all the way, a cable engages and unlocks the door in case of power loss
The rear door latch is in the body frame and not the door. Therefore, in the event of power loss, there's a pull tab behind your legs in the rear seat.

So, yes, in a complete system failure or part failure, you can easily exit the front, and I've found the tabs in the back. IIRC they are yellow and say PULL.

The Corvette doors are also electronic, but when they fail... well.
Texas man, 72, dies trapped inside his Corvette dream car - NY Daily News

This was truly tragic. I'd hate to think of my parents in a similar situation. I'm hoping the 2008+ ones have been improved.
Old August 30th, 2016, 7:20 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gruvenparts.com
I think we could make them from billet aluminum for about the same. It would be a show piece, too. Tesla would have nothing on it !

We make some pretty incredible machined parts, this 1 would be a slam dunk. Who has some OEM spares to send me ? Free parts for those who help ...
I guess I could send you the OEM one from 2009 I'm pulling out to replace. Not sure there are any GM parts I need at the moment.

I'm trying to think of parts that suck in the vehicle... or feel cheap... mostly the door handles on the inside... if they were aluminum it would feel nicer.

ummm, I haven't used it as my daily driver in over a year here, so I'm kind of drawing a blank.
Old August 30th, 2016, 8:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

The interior handles on the front doors electronically open the door; if you continue pulling them all the way, a cable engages and unlocks the door in case of power loss
The rear door latch is in the body frame and not the door. Therefore, in the event of power loss, there's a pull tab behind your legs in the rear seat.

So, yes, in a complete system failure or part failure, you can easily exit the front, and I've found the tabs in the back. IIRC they are yellow and say PULL.

This was truly tragic. I'd hate to think of my parents in a similar situation. I'm hoping the 2008+ ones have been improved.
the vettes have a 2ndary cable pull feature to open the drivers door; unfortunately, the guy just didn't know how to use it. its just a lever like any hood release.

Last edited by tech2; August 30th, 2016 at 8:19 AM.
Old August 30th, 2016, 11:21 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The ones in my Tesla are aluminum... and very nice, smooth, solid feeling... nothing I get from a GM

Maybe I should have harassed the dealer more... how far out of warranty were you? I'm just so sick of dealing w/them.
The door pop tool arrives today, but tonight is wing night, so hopefully this week I'll get it. For now some electrical tape protects the wife hands.
The best way to make an aluminum one would be to buy the $30 after market one and make a copy of that I guess..?

The door handle is chunky, smooth, and the pull action is great. It actually just triggers an electrical release, so you aren't actually pulling a cable... so no weight behind the pull.
This one isn't mine, I wouldn't be caught dead with a tan interior
My car was in its 5th year of ownership, and had ~126K on it. I purchased the car in early 2006. I had a good rapport with the service advisor and had spent thousands at his dealership for service on my Tahoe, so he threw me a bone, I guess, lol.
Old August 30th, 2016, 1:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that is really tragic. How about we dont add needless electronic complexity to an otherwise simple, proven system anymore...especially when they dont even have the door lock actuator problems figured out yet. Still not sure how the bystanders couldnt simply smash the window. Sad read.