Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

DVD front view override

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2007, 8:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DVD front view override

ORIGINAL: tahoechick

Didn't know I was being graded for my choice of words. Of course I am completely careful when driving. Do you think I want anything to happen to my new LTZ?????? On a recent trip all seats were filled with people and luggage so the front passenger seat was left to me or my husband. We just wanted to watch the video like everyone else since there were no other seats available. Also, we found it annoying that the passenger couldn't enter destination addresses or change the screen brightness while in motion. I knew there was a way to override this and just wanted tofind out. Maybe GM should have installed something that allows these options to be used as long as there is someone in the passenger seat. If the passenger airbagis turnedon and off depending on weight in the seat maybe these functions can work like that too. Thanks for the responses.
I'm notgoing to get into a pissing contest with you, but just so you know, generally your choice of words will have a profound effect on the message you send, and therefore the response you get. There'sa saying, "The meaning of your communication, is the response you get". Again, I'm sorry I went off half-cocked. The way I understood what you said, was that you weren't happy with only being able to watch your DVDs while the vehicle was parked.

Cheers.
Old April 7th, 2008, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: DVD front view override

ORIGINAL: uraijit

Why the hell are you trying to watch DVDs while driving? Don't you think driving is more important than watching Sex and The City? Get a grip! I hope you get a fat ticket, or lose your license before you hurt somebody. And learn to put your makeup on BEFORE you leave the house.

A good friend of mine was killed by an idiot who's makeup was more important than the fact that she was operating several thousand pounds of machinery; and incidentally, more important than another person's life. How about you focus on driving, and save the movies for home?
I agree that this is a little harsh, but I kind of agree with the point. Even if it is for the passenger I think it would distract the driver... Hey, I find sometimes I have to turn off the DVD Player in the back because just the sound is making me want to look back to see what's on the screen. Safety and courtesy first... However, in the end it doesn't matter what everyone says, people still drink and drive which is even worse, so how do we stop people from Watching TV, Checking Email, Playing on the Computer, and stuff like that when driving... It sucks, but just shows, you can't trust the other drivers...
Old March 13th, 2015, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default or MAYBE...

Originally Posted by uraijit
Why the hell are you trying to watch DVDs while driving? Don't you think driving is more important than watching Sex and The City? Get a grip! I hope you get a fat ticket, or lose your license before you hurt somebody. And learn to put your makeup on BEFORE you leave the house.

A good friend of mine was killed by an idiot who's makeup was more important than the fact that she was operating several thousand pounds of machinery; and incidentally, more important than another person's life. How about you focus on driving, and save the movies for home?
Maybe there is a responsible driver but a front seat passenger would like to watch with the rest of the passengers? I know sounds unlikely but that's exactly my situation...
Old March 13th, 2015, 9:48 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Good luck with an insurance claim if the investigation reveals that a Lockpick or similar device has been installed. And if bodily injury or death occurs, the sky's the limit on a settlement.
Old March 17th, 2015, 7:43 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hmm

It depends on the state.

Some states allow 'video displays within sight of the driver' to operate while the vehicle is in motion.

I'm all for personal freedom, but still think it's kind of a bad idea.

State Laws for Electronics Use in the Car - CEA

Pennsylvania

Video Screen Restriction

Law: No motor vehicle operated on a highway can be equipped with television-type receiving equipment forward of the back of the driver's seat or otherwise visible to the driver.
Statute: 75 Pa.C.S. § 4527 (2007)
Penalties: No penalty specified.<-- odd.

I almost bought a lock pick, but I only wanted to enter addresses while moving... which... my Space Boat allows me to do.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; March 17th, 2015 at 7:46 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 6:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a lot of distractions on the road. It's common to see people multitasking behind the wheel; I saw a fellow reading the paper doing 75 on the interstate! If there are similarly distracted drivers on the road around you, there's room for an unhappy situation. The adults who occupy the front seat have to make good decisions. I'm not sure I'd like the guy driving the airplane I'm traveling on to be distracted by the in-flight movie we're watching in coach....... and there's a lot less traffic up there.
Old January 26th, 2016, 3:34 PM
Newly Registered

You're right, that was harsh. I was still in attack mode from a previous post, and I came off as pretty harsh. But it's one of my biggest pet peaves when people are more interested in what they'd rather be doing, than what they're actually doing while driving. But the way you worded it was "I can watch dvds in park [but not in drive]" implying that the problem was that YOU couldn't watch DVDs while driving. Sorry I came off the way I did. But there's a reason the law says you can't have DVDs playing in the front seat while driving. Even if you aren't "Watching it" it can still be a huge distraction. If somebody wants to watch movies, can't they just sit in the back seat?
Shut up you sound stupid.
Old September 11th, 2019, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Political

While looking on my trustee Chevy Forum App for a simple fix for my passenger; was bombarded w/view points of the total opposite.. My sympathies to you..
However with this web-site being a Chevrolet Forum; used to discuss any situation, possibility, issue andr situation that can possibly happen.
No one here is trying to crash their Truck or SUV . They wouldn’t be here trying to upgrade and learn about their vehicle.. Point Blank.. Education purpose.
. And you should be suspended for turning the direction of a simple answer into a place for Counseling about personal issues that don’t pertain to a Chevrolet Forum. Forgive me if I am being inconsiderate in any way- not my intention-
My sole intention was to see how to bypass a wire
(or something) so that my passenger/wife up front can watch the same movie as the kids In the back seat; in preparation to take a round trip drive 800+ miles..
** but that is my personal issue —correct? I should have left that out.. Now, do you see? Does it make sense now that I’ve done it? Just to make a point.....

Last edited by nil2thebrain; September 11th, 2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old November 9th, 2019, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default Wow.... how rude are you....

Maybe no more before u respond... I sit in 2 car lines... each 45 min for school.... watching while in park... is and should be an option.... rude

Old November 9th, 2019, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Opinions

Originally Posted by gdf7279
I agree that this is a little harsh, but I kind of agree with the point. Even if it is for the passenger I think it would distract the driver... Hey, I find sometimes I have to turn off the DVD Player in the back because just the sound is making me want to look back to see what's on the screen. Safety and courtesy first... However, in the end it doesn't matter what everyone says, people still drink and drive which is even worse, so how do we stop people from Watching TV, Checking Email, Playing on the Computer, and stuff like that when driving... It sucks, but just shows, you can't trust the other drivers...
I simply wanted a “yes or no” if a way is possible—maybe a person to say how— I understand that being sidetracked is a possibility-but not likely when my son is watching Paw Patrol.. this immediately turnt into a sensitive soap opera when opinions could have a place in another forum- I have a few Fire Pads and WiFi in my Chevy so I guess a few different streams can happen with individual headphones regardless— streams of videos and games could be played all the way to the back of the 3rd row seat.. * just wanted to have a road trip where my wife was comfortable watching news or whatever..I’m focused on the road with my own headphone in one ear listening to what I want to hear while family is on their own entertainment system—a plane has screens for the passengers— the Pilot isn’t watching a movie I don’t think- maybe has music i don’t know— I’ll find another forum— this one has no answers

Quick Reply: DVD front view override