Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1989 suburban seat back broke while backing down steep driveway!

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2011, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 suburban seat back broke while backing down steep driveway!

my seat back broke while backing down a driveway - i was turned around to look out rear window and sitting up high and leaning back on seat to try to see down the fairly steep driveway, when seat broke I jack knifed my trailer but didnt hit anything (including bumper). I managed to situp quik enough to stop vehicle before anything was damaged but just barely! anyhow i needparts to repair seat i have never removed a seat before and need to know where to hget the par or parts needed to do this. chevy said a truck of this age they dont have the seat parts for i need to look online please help with any info you have it will be greatly appreciated--Paul
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum

rather then repair the oem seat, it might be easier to go to a local custom shop and get fixed up with new front seats in a bench or bucket which ever you have...
Old September 1st, 2011, 2:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Back Repair

I had an '89 'Burb once and so did my oldest daughter. We still miss them today - getting 15 mpg city / 22 mpg highway from such comfortable trucks was great. But to get to your problem : we both made the same repairs when needed. GM made a bolt that supported the seatback and it usually broke at the threads. Remove the seat and the threaded portion of the bolt is easy to remove from the hole as it's not tightened into the mount, just broken off. You should then be able to purchase a replacement bolt in correct length and thread size. You need strength here too, so get Grade 5 or better. Hope this helps.