Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Help. Urgent question about power steering pulley. (I'm on my back in the driveway) !

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2009, 9:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. Urgent question about power steering pulley. (I'm on my back in the driveway) !

At the moment I'm on my back in the driveway trying to replace the power steering pump. I can't get the pulley off as I don't know whether the bolt unfastens clockwise or counterclockwise. If you know please let me know asap.
Thanks.
By the way its a 98 Express van, 5.7.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by EnyChevyUK
At the moment I'm on my back in the driveway trying to replace the power steering pump. I can't get the pulley off as I don't know whether the bolt unfastens clockwise or counterclockwise. If you know please let me know asap.
Thanks.
By the way its a 98 Express van, 5.7.

well im only on my first cup of coffee so im gonna say counterclock....
Old August 23rd, 2009, 2:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm pretty sure its counterclockwise because the pulley turns clockwise.
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Clean the outside with of the pulley thread with a wirebrush or steel wool or something before you put bolt loosener on it, if you look carefully, you may be able to see which way the thread is going into the pulley...
Old August 25th, 2009, 1:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, I managed to get the pulley off.
The thread in the end of the shaft is indeed a normal thread. I thought that by using a socket in the end of it and turning, this would loosen the pulley, all that happened was a snapped shaft !!
I now know that to remove the pulley you have to pull it off the shaft and replace it by pressing it on !!!!!!!!!!! (using the tool in the thread, Doh).
I now have a new problem. The pulley easily slides onto the new shaft and spins freely on the shaft without any pressure being used. All I can think is that Cardone have remanufactured an old shaft and have cleaned it up too much leaving it too narrow ? (or am I missing something ?).
Old August 26th, 2009, 12:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 1Gary
Could you please snap some pic's of this repair.Sure would help us help you and would help other members learn from your thread.Thanks.
Yeah. I'll get some pics taken when my buddy brings the pump back from his work place.
I have now ordered another pump complete with pulley just to be sure it fits correctly over the shaft.