Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

GM Active Fuel Management Woes

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2014, 12:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there!
I love Our Suburban, it is an amazing rig... or was til last night..
It has used extreme amount of oil, but ok, I could take that..
But now..
Last night, coming home from Portland OR, suddenly I heard a noise, stopped at the side of the road, and just to find out, a distinct knocking, ticking in the engine..
All gauges showed fine, pressures and all was ok, started to continue (I was out in the middle of nowhere, no reception, 1.30 nighttime ) .. then the engine control, stabilitrac, nd garbage and on starts to flash and bling.. arrg!!
Today, after diagnosed the rig at the Towtruck place, failure on the "4 cyl mode" cylinders, and on.. I just tried a short cut, changed plugs, wires, oil and filter, VIOLA! Quiet! Smooth as new!
Tell my wife, I can drive her to Walmart, down the road, suddenly.. ticking start, next "bling bling".. "Stabilitrac", and garbage AGAIN! Limp mode, wierd shifting, JUNK!!
Went into GM/Chevy, said " it most be a spark plug, or a coil, or worse "something bigger".."
HA!! Want me come back tomorrow..
Ok, I shall go there ( they promised to check for $100 ) but I for sure going o see if they knows what they doing, I want that stupid AFM get fixed, or best, TAKEN AWAY!
Hey guys/ girls!? Is it a way to put in solid(hydraulic/normal) lifters somehow?
To just "dump" this mistake, DoD, or AFM?
Thank You
And hey?!
Any suggestions to what I shall say, or ask tomorrow?
Glenn
Old December 12th, 2014, 9:06 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum..
I don't know if you remove the physical features of the AFM but you can have it turned off in the software via a tune so that it will not activate.
Old December 12th, 2014, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum..
I don't know if you remove the physical features of the AFM but you can have it turned off in the software via a tune so that it will not activate.
Thanks in2pro, any suggestion about what to do or say/demand (I sitting at Kenware Chevrolet dealer in Coos Bay OR, and waiting for the technicians words..)

Hoping that they are humane here

Glenn
Old December 12th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Just don't let them tell you they have never seen or heard of this before....
Old December 12th, 2014, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Just don't let them tell you they have never seen or heard of this before....
Ok I doki. Well,no, never!😉
Ok, so far the sales guy gave me a decent trade in offer, but I don't know if I'm in a stand to buy a newer, as it seems, a future issue comes on the next too..😢
I wait right now and see what's happening
I want this to get fixed first, like I said before, we loved our Burb before this happen, just wish, and hope that GM takes their responsibility.. 😁
After all, this AFM or DoD thingy, is their experiment, sold to their thrusting customer, that had no clue about the issue/lack of support?!
I get a bit scared then hearing of other customers, out of warranty time/mileage, and NOT get the help from GM

So mister, or miss GM Rep, please do contact me (or others w same prob, AFM)
And let me/us know how You stand behind this, thank You
As for now, 8:53 I am sitting at Kenware GM in Coos Bay OR and waiting for my "doom".. And to hear what excuses they can have, or hopefully takes GMs responsibility and fix our Suburban! 😉
Glenn 541-808-8619
Old December 12th, 2014, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, here again..
Sorry, but I had to take some time to "air" my mind, from the Kenware/GM dealers words..
After paying the checkup, I got these words: Do You want Us to put in a new engine?
What!?? "
.."we swapped coils, plug wires, miss stayed on #7 checked compression on #7, it is low , would need a teardown and inspect lifters to pinpoint failure"..
WHAT THE HECK?!..
".well, the cost of repair and check of the parts and materials, and too, your vehicles milage, comes to nearly the same as a new engine"..
Which is true..
So just because "plugged" AFM lifters, an failed PCV/AFM Valve, I need to cash up to an new engine??
What is wrong with this picture? Is this not something that should been taken care of from manufacturer?? GM?
Should not, this be an recall issue??
My rig starts up fine, then cold or have been standing a little, but as soon I start to drive now, 100 feet, a half mile, its starts to knock/tick, "Stabilitrac", and garbage bling bling, AGAIN! "Limp mode", wierd shifting, JUNK!!
And no replies from any GM Responder yet!?
As the lady here on the forum said, this is going to be an awful expensive flower pot out in the yard!!
Old December 12th, 2014, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by theswede
Ok, here again..
Sorry, but I had to take some time to "air" my mind, from the Kenware/GM dealers words..
After paying the checkup, I got these words: Do You want Us to put in a new engine?
What!?? "
.."we swapped coils, plug wires, miss stayed on #7 checked compression on #7, it is low , would need a teardown and inspect lifters to pinpoint failure"..
WHAT THE HECK?!..
".well, the cost of repair and check of the parts and materials, and too, your vehicles milage, comes to nearly the same as a new engine"..
Which is true..
So just because "plugged" AFM lifters, an failed PCV/AFM Valve, I need to cash up to an new engine??
What is wrong with this picture? Is this not something that should been taken care of from manufacturer?? GM?
Should not, this be an recall issue??
My rig starts up fine, then cold or have been standing a little, but as soon I start to drive now, 100 feet, a half mile, its starts to knock/tick, "Stabilitrac", and garbage bling bling, AGAIN! "Limp mode", wierd shifting, JUNK!!
And no replies from any GM Responder yet!?
As the lady here on the forum said, this is going to be an awful expensive flower pot out in the yard!!
/Users/glennlindh/Desktop/Cars etc/6635339729_38dfd5ceaa_m.jpg
Attached Thumbnails GM Active Fuel Management Woes-6635339729_38dfd5ceaa_m.jpg  
Old December 15th, 2014, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by theswede
/Users/glennlindh/Desktop/Cars etc/6635339729_38dfd5ceaa_m.jpg
NOPE! No help from GM, my rig has to many miles, AND are 7 years old, AND/OR I don't have the extra bumper to bumper insurance!!
She are emailing to my dealership to see if they can give me a discount! HA!!

Ok, I understand if I had normal wear and tear issue, but this problem we have with Our rig, and so many others has the same , IS A MANUFACTURE MISSTAKE!
And now we see that GM DOES NOT BACK UP CUSTOMERS!!
Thank You GM!
I actually hoped for a somewhat help from You (GM), to solve my issue..
To prevent further, damage with updated parts/engine...
This is not an Chevy Aveo, or KIA, or some cheap Scion..
This is an quite expensive Suburban, same price class as other brands top models, but the difference, THEY BACKING UP EVEN OUT OF MILE CUSTOMERS....!
Wow, so this is how You treat us..
Can I say that I am disappointed!!??
I tried to "hold back" and wait for Customers Relations Manager, to hear what they said.. And hope that GM helped Us somehow, something...
So for me, GM becomes a swearword from nowon.... GM!!!
Old December 15th, 2014, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

CHEVROLET, AFM, AFM FAILURE, STABILITRACK Blinking, Service Traction Control, AFM Pressure Relief Valve, AFM Lifter Failure, Low Compression on cyl 7 or others, etc,
All Symptoms of AFM Failure.....
Do You know what they have in common?

That You are by Your self, NO help from GM whatsoever..! The most of Us who have rigs from 2007 and up, start saving up, because You have to pay for GMs mistakes..
But wait, did not a tons of our tax money end up in to GM once..? hmm..
So should not some "come back" somehow

Hey, friends and folks, sorry for my "puking out" here about GM.. I lost the thread a bit, but got so fed up of these people at GM..
Old December 16th, 2014, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default i just posted asking about if this issue was really rampant or not

it seems it is.

i want a new gen 11 sub sooooo bad but i just cannot justify buying one when i can get a gen 10 for so much less and has zero issues.

i am very sorry for all of you on this thread who have experienced this issue. i can imagine how it feels like you have been ripped off. and yes, especially when this company was bailed out by your government.

Quick Reply: GM Active Fuel Management Woes