Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

GM Active Fuel Management Woes

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2015, 1:31 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience

Hey, ran across the forum and registered today - sorry if info is too late to help. I purchased a 07 Silv 1500 new body style with 168000 miles in 01/2014. I ran into problems with oil pressure and replaced the sensor (not it), then found out about the suction tube o-ring that can get hardened and allow air to pass by. Pulled the front diff out, moved steering gear, dropped pan. Sure enough the o-ring was bad, but being former mechanic i decide i might as well tear in a little deeper and change some items.

I dropped a main and rod bearing and they looked very good so lubriplated and reinstalled. Pulled the front cover and replaced the timing set, cam sensor, and oil pump. Bought the parts through local GM dealer - they were cheaper than the other places by far - surprised me. Talked with dealer mechanic about the engine and he suggested the oil shield for the AFM dump valve. Easy to install with everything down. buttoned everything up and she has done well since - just went over 204K miles. By the way, I have run mobil 1 5w-30 in it ever since and changed it around 5K or so. My wife has the 07 Suburban and it drinks oil somewhat - am thinking i may drop the pan on it and put the oil shield in and change the oil ring next summer. It was also a good time with front diff out to change the trans cooler lines.

One thing i do need to compliment the 5.3 on is the construction. The pan and covers are cast aluminum covers using oring embossed gaskets. This was so much nicer than the stamped tin and cork/rubber used in the old days (1970s-1980s). it was also nice with the elextric fans to not fight the stupid fan blade in working on the front end (not that you cannot remove stuff - but it was nicer).

The only thing popping up now is the P174 rich bank alarm when coasting to a stop. It seems GM calculates the alcohol level of the fuel versus a sensor, and that calculation gets messed up. i had the ECM reflashed, but it still throws the alarm now and again. The code tool i have shows alcohol near 30% at times.

I have faced one other item mentioned here too - the "all" warnings issue - stabilitrack, check 4wd, and another warning all at once. But, there are no thrown codes and it seems to go away. Very strange. have thought about replacing the ECM with a new one since it appears that module has had part number changes over the years.

hope this info helps.

Last edited by winger_bros; January 2nd, 2015 at 1:34 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 2:01 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

winger_bros
Welcome to the forum, thanks for that very helpful follow up !
Old January 6th, 2015, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default AFM Woes

I am having the EXACT same prob. 900.00 into it they have figured out it is the AFM. They want to do the exact same repair. Can you tell me who you contacted at GM?

BTW I also have the cracked dash and peeling door handles.

This is my 5th Suburban and I have been buying GM exclusively since 1985. I am very disappointed.
Old January 6th, 2015, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

So is this AFM/oil consumption problem relegated to the 2007-2010 production years only? I picked up a 2013 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 and 5k miles, but since it's a CPO and I've got maintenance covered through July 2018, I've admittedly been more hands-off than usual with regards to maintenance. I've got about another 1k miles till I take it in for its next appointment (last serviced ~6500 miles ago), but this thread got me all kinds of worried so I went and checked the oil. It's below all the dots but still on the stick, so I picked up a couple quarts of dexos1 5w30 and I'll top it off tomorrow.

The truck has 21k miles on it now, and I've been from the beaches of Cape Lookout to the back woods of NH with no complaints, just wondering if I should be concerned for the long-term? I plan on keeping this truck till the wheels fall off, so maybe I'll be a bit more diligent about checking the oil between changes!
Old January 7th, 2015, 7:24 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default oil consumption/AFM

from the research i did last winter, the 07-10 were the worst for the oil use, the number of posts from 11-up owners was much less than the first set of years.

Also, some aftermarket programmers can defeat the AFM, which i am looking at getting - the Diablo Predator is around $200.
Old January 7th, 2015, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by winger_bros
from the research i did last winter, the 07-10 were the worst for the oil use, the number of posts from 11-up owners was much less than the first set of years.

Also, some aftermarket programmers can defeat the AFM, which i am looking at getting - the Diablo Predator is around $200.
Do you have a link to that Predator? I briefly looked into disabling the AFM, cheapest I could find was the Range Tech unit @ $200, which is nice because it plugs into the OBD port and I can take it out when get the truck serviced. From Diablo the cheapest I saw was the inTune @ about $400, not sure I want/need a dash-mounted controller with that much capability...though if I had it, I'm sure I'd find a reason to use it.

Re: my oil consumption, added a quart and I'm back into the middle of the hatch marks on the stick, so I guess 1 qt in 6,500 miles isn't bad, all things considered.
Old January 10th, 2015, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default My "destroyed" engine..

Ok, hi again after some time

So, last time I was recommended to change engine of the dealer here in Coos Bay OR, Kendall..
GM support was "helping" us with the half of the cost of a exchange engine, except the labour.. fine, BUT at the time we did not have the money, or time, because we was suppose to go down the Las Vegas, meeting family during the holidays..
So we was standing to, either, borrow a rig for the trip, or try to "fix" the Suburban..

What the heck, the rig is destroyed already so..

...nothing to loose, I got a TripleA Plus cover for towing, and I got some SeaFoam in the oil, let it idle for 2 hour, drove my wife to Walmart and back, still rattling like crazy..
Change the oil, did the same again, BUT ADDED ONE QUART DIESEL, IN THE ENGINE! Ok, sounds crazy, but I let it idle, more cleaner in there. Another trip to town, rattle around, but it seemed to calm down as long I throttle a little..
So last, drained the last oil/mixture out, pour the fully synthetic oil in there (this is the 3 oil change now that week), started the rig up, QUIET!!
What? Did my "experiment" work?
Drove to town and back, stopped and let it idle here and there..
Nothing, quiet as a new rig!
Ha!
Wife! Get the suitcases in the Suburban and lets go!!
Drove about that 1000miles down to Vegas, stopped in Reno, dead silent still!
Sitting a bit nervous, at and shake or "did I hear something" the whole road down..
Nope! Still totally good!
Some days down in Vegas mornings it was only about 28 degrees out there, so I "had" to sneak out on the mornings and start the Burb up, still not even a cold start rattle!! Yay!!!
Home again after the weeks, even the oil consuming is lower! (1) one quart at 2500 miles now!
Maybe this rig still is a keeper!!
What do You folks think?

Glenn
Old January 11th, 2015, 3:18 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by theswede

So, last time I was recommended to change engine of the dealer here in Coos Bay OR, Kendall..
GM support was "helping" us with the half of the cost of a exchange engine, except the labour.. fine, BUT at the time we did not have the money, or time, because we was suppose to go down the Las Vegas, meeting family during the holidays..
So we was standing to, either, borrow a rig for the trip, or try to "fix" the Suburban..

...nothing to loose, I got a TripleA Plus cover for towing, and I got some SeaFoam in the oil, let it idle for 2 hour, drove my wife to Walmart and back, still rattling like crazy..
Change the oil, did the same again, BUT ADDED ONE QUART DIESEL, IN THE ENGINE! Ok, sounds crazy, but I let it idle, more cleaner in there. Another trip to town, rattle around, but it seemed to calm down as long I throttle a little..
So last, drained the last oil/mixture out, pour the fully synthetic oil in there (this is the 3 oil change now that week), started the rig up, QUIET!!
Ha!
Sitting a bit nervous, at and shake or "did I hear something" the whole road down..
Some days down in Vegas mornings it was only about 28 degrees out there, so I "had" to sneak out on the mornings and start the Burb up, still not even a cold start rattle!! Yay!!!
Home again after the weeks, even the oil consuming is lower! (1) one quart at 2500 miles now!
What do You folks think?

Glenn
So you added a quart of diesel oil to the crankcase oil or to the fuel ?
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
So you added a quart of diesel oil to the crankcase oil or to the fuel ?
Yep! I put it in the engine!
Old January 20th, 2015, 5:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by theswede

Ha!
What do You folks think?

Glenn
Seafoam is magic in a can. My 07 is rapidly approaching 200K miles with and engine that "needed new lifters and camshaft" several, SEVERAL thousand miles ago! Good move Glenn! LOL........my story on this is back on page 2 of this thread!

Last edited by Headache Ball; January 20th, 2015 at 5:26 AM.

Quick Reply: GM Active Fuel Management Woes