Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2012, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Many people here are referring to a CEL or Check Engine Light.
Is this the image that appears on your dash?
This is my image and problem: Stabilitrak Off

My display also produces this. Not this exact layout or saying, may be another year/model I just grabbed a generic web pic.

Last edited by slyder941; November 25th, 2012 at 8:03 AM.
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default Service Traction Control/Stabilitrak - 3rd Time

I have an 08 Avalanche currently with 52,000 miles on it.

The first time I had the Service traction control/Stabilitrak lights was at about 44,000 miles. The truck ran real rough and was very sluggish. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the throttle position sensor under powertrain warranty.

Fast forward 10,000 miles - on come the same lights. This time running a little rough, but not as sluggish as before. Back to the dealer. Diagnosis this time - no compression on the #7 cylinder. Problem related to active fuel management. Replaced all of the lifters on that side of the motor - once again under the powertrain warranty.

1500 miles and one month later the lights are back on. Called the dealer this morning & they can't get it in until Tuesday. Can't wait to see what it is this time!

I'm sad that my days with this truck are numbered - exactly the same as the days left on the warranty.
The following users liked this post:
Z71TahoeJMC (February 3rd, 2022)
Old December 3rd, 2012, 7:36 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Avalanche
I have an 08 Avalanche currently with 52,000 miles on it.

The first time I had the Service traction control/Stabilitrak lights was at about 44,000 miles. The truck ran real rough and was very sluggish. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the throttle position sensor under powertrain warranty.

Fast forward 10,000 miles - on come the same lights. This time running a little rough, but not as sluggish as before. Back to the dealer. Diagnosis this time - no compression on the #7 cylinder. Problem related to active fuel management. Replaced all of the lifters on that side of the motor - once again under the powertrain warranty.

1500 miles and one month later the lights are back on. Called the dealer this morning & they can't get it in until Tuesday. Can't wait to see what it is this time!

I'm sad that my days with this truck are numbered - exactly the same as the days left on the warranty.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 08Avalanche,

I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues with your vehicle. Please keep us posted of the results of your dealer visit.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default The Saga continues

When I last left off the truck was on its way back to the dealership for more "Service Traction Control - Service Stabilitrak" issues. Despite having an appointment and dropping the truck off first thing in the morning, of course they did not get to it & I had to leave it overnight. Next day they say that they can read the codes - which indicate a random misfire, but since the lights are not active, they can't determine the cause - so I can leave the truck with them & they will drive it around to see if they can get the lights to come back on, or I can take it & bring it back when the lights are on. Needless to say, I need my truck so I pick it back up.

A few weeks come and go - so do the same problems - the "Service Traction Control - Service Stabilitrak warnings come on", the truck runs rough. Get wherever I'm going, turn it off & the truck is fine. After a few more cycles the check engine light stays active - maybe a good thing, maybe not. A week or 2 later on a Monday morning I'm maybe 5 minutes from my house on my way to work and I get a ding, ding, ding "No Oil Pressure - Turn off engine immediately" - this can't be good. Mind you, truck is running just fine, no knocking, no noise. Let me stop and say that I'm a fairly religous 3000 mile oil changer - occasionally I might strech it to 4000 - despite this, truck has always been an oil burner - easily a quart in 3000 miles. So I stop and turn off the engine. I let it sit for a minute and restart it. Light goes off, oil pressure comes up, truck seems to be running just fine, I cautiously continue on. I go a few hundred yards and the lights come back on. I pull into a parking lot and shut the truck off. I get out and check the oil - oil level is fine. I call the dealer, they give me the name of their towing service. Its now been probably 10-15 minutes, lets start the truck up one more time & see what happens. Once again, lights off, oil pressure comes up. I drive it to the dealer without further incident and once again drop it off (this time without an appointment). That afternoon I get a call from the service writer, do I have a few minutes - uh, oh - sounds expensive. The oil pressure is just fine, but the oild pressure sensor is no good - of course we gotta take off the intake manifold to get to it, so thats gonna run about $400. The engine light, yeah thats not related to the "Service Stabilitrak - Service Traction Control", no the EVAP vent solenoid is no good - this another $370. Once again, they aren't gonna be able to finish it, so I gotta leave it over night.

I pick the truck up on Tuesday 1/31. Friday night on my way home "Service Stabiltrak - Service Traction Control" come back on. This has happened 3 times since it came back from the dealer (less than 2 weeks).
Old February 12th, 2013, 3:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Avalanche
When I last left off the truck was on its way back to the dealership for more "Service Traction Control - Service Stabilitrak" issues. Despite having an appointment and dropping the truck off first thing in the morning, of course they did not get to it & I had to leave it overnight. Next day they say that they can read the codes - which indicate a random misfire, but since the lights are not active, they can't determine the cause - so I can leave the truck with them & they will drive it around to see if they can get the lights to come back on, or I can take it & bring it back when the lights are on. Needless to say, I need my truck so I pick it back up.

A few weeks come and go - so do the same problems - the "Service Traction Control - Service Stabilitrak warnings come on", the truck runs rough. Get wherever I'm going, turn it off & the truck is fine. After a few more cycles the check engine light stays active - maybe a good thing, maybe not. A week or 2 later on a Monday morning I'm maybe 5 minutes from my house on my way to work and I get a ding, ding, ding "No Oil Pressure - Turn off engine immediately" - this can't be good. Mind you, truck is running just fine, no knocking, no noise. Let me stop and say that I'm a fairly religous 3000 mile oil changer - occasionally I might strech it to 4000 - despite this, truck has always been an oil burner - easily a quart in 3000 miles. So I stop and turn off the engine. I let it sit for a minute and restart it. Light goes off, oil pressure comes up, truck seems to be running just fine, I cautiously continue on. I go a few hundred yards and the lights come back on. I pull into a parking lot and shut the truck off. I get out and check the oil - oil level is fine. I call the dealer, they give me the name of their towing service. Its now been probably 10-15 minutes, lets start the truck up one more time & see what happens. Once again, lights off, oil pressure comes up. I drive it to the dealer without further incident and once again drop it off (this time without an appointment). That afternoon I get a call from the service writer, do I have a few minutes - uh, oh - sounds expensive. The oil pressure is just fine, but the oild pressure sensor is no good - of course we gotta take off the intake manifold to get to it, so thats gonna run about $400. The engine light, yeah thats not related to the "Service Stabilitrak - Service Traction Control", no the EVAP vent solenoid is no good - this another $370. Once again, they aren't gonna be able to finish it, so I gotta leave it over night.

I pick the truck up on Tuesday 1/31. Friday night on my way home "Service Stabiltrak - Service Traction Control" come back on. This has happened 3 times since it came back from the dealer (less than 2 weeks).
I'm willing to bet it's a defective throttle body assembly. Happened on my dad's '10 and they replaced it under warranty. Had only 20k miles on it at the time. He eventually got rid of the truck due to the issues he was having continually and now has a '12 Silvy
Old February 14th, 2013, 9:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2012 Silverado 1500 - TCS Problems

My 2012 Silverado had been having an occassional issue with the Traction Control and Stabilitrak being turned off and the warning messages as well as the proverbial "idiot" lights coming on. At first these occurrences seemed to be primarily on colder (but certainly not slick) days and the duration was short, normally happening only once or twice on the 30 minute drive in to work. Recently the warnings have been coming on numerous times with a very noticeable loss of power and the hard clunky shifting of the transmission. The last two days it happened repeatedly on the trip to work and the loss of power was very noticeable. I have also had the engine just up and die on me a few times as I was trying to enter traffic which I find to be extremely dangerous here in Houston and quite alarming. This is an unacceptable situation which could certainly lead to a bad accident trying to get onto the two lane road leading that serves as the exit for our subdivision. I have left a message for my service guy at the dealership but, I can tell you from the obvious long term existence of this TCS issue for GM and the description of how the customers experiencing this issue have been treated... I am very concerned! I can tell you that I had absolutely no issues with my 2007 (non GM) truck and sold it with about 100,000 miles when I got this truck. I only have 18,000 on this new truck and had begun having issues since 7,000 miles or so.

Last edited by dspaulding; February 14th, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old February 14th, 2013, 4:53 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

At the very least, you need to take it in to get the problem on the record. If they blow you off, find another dealer.
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dspaulding
My 2012 Silverado had been having an occassional issue with the Traction Control and Stabilitrak being turned off and the warning messages as well as the proverbial "idiot" lights coming on. At first these occurrences seemed to be primarily on colder (but certainly not slick) days and the duration was short, normally happening only once or twice on the 30 minute drive in to work. Recently the warnings have been coming on numerous times with a very noticeable loss of power and the hard clunky shifting of the transmission. The last two days it happened repeatedly on the trip to work and the loss of power was very noticeable. I have also had the engine just up and die on me a few times as I was trying to enter traffic which I find to be extremely dangerous here in Houston and quite alarming. This is an unacceptable situation which could certainly lead to a bad accident trying to get onto the two lane road leading that serves as the exit for our subdivision. I have left a message for my service guy at the dealership but, I can tell you from the obvious long term existence of this TCS issue for GM and the description of how the customers experiencing this issue have been treated... I am very concerned! I can tell you that I had absolutely no issues with my 2007 (non GM) truck and sold it with about 100,000 miles when I got this truck. I only have 18,000 on this new truck and had begun having issues since 7,000 miles or so.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> dspaulding,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Have you had the vehicle inspected for this issue?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 16th, 2013, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

dspaulding
I don't usually throw generic answers out there as I hate them with a passion!!!!
Being this is literally a brand new truck you must absolutely take this to the dealer and get a service order to do this under your warranty.
At 7K miles this should never happen, and the problem is obviously getting worse and more frequent.

Getting this documented and repaired and should it keep re-occuring it may fall under the Lemon Law at some future date being this is an extremely common problem that has not been properly addressed by GM

Sorry to be so doom-n-gloom but time to make a dealer service appointment. Don't let them bounce you around stating they can't simulate your problem!!!!!
IDEA: try to video tape this, sounds silly but if you can document this on tape it could help the technician resolve the issue. Plus it will prove that there is a problem with visual proof. I would just record then erase when it doesn't happen and hope to catch it on tape when it does.

Good luck & wish you the best here
Old February 16th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

slyder941 Your advice is a good one, a few pictures or even video of the cluster *may not really tell the technician everything, often times just turning the key to ignition on, no start can illuminate a lot of the same Icons...

But its on the right track, documenting the RPM's speed, engine temp, battery charging state, outside temp, how you were driving at the time, time elapsed between events, can be a very helpful aide...
The data being seen by the BCM and ECM are what is really needed. If the issues happens frequently that the owner sees it but not the dealership maybe requesting that a scan tool be left connected to the vehicle for a week or so to datalog any events....
I know there are some relatively low cost ($200-$300) code readers that can also capture some basic engine sensor data, however they may not capture the causes of this particular issue...

Quick Reply: HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control