Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

No dash light unless switch in "total on" position

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2014, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No dash light unless switch in "total on" position

I have a 2002 Suburban and the Instrument Panel Lamp Dimmer only works in the "total on" position. Has anyone seen this? Just wondering if it is the "Headlamp Switch / Instrument Panel Lamp Dimmer Assembly",?
Old April 23rd, 2014, 6:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine did that , I just think I had dirty contacts, as I sprayed contact cleaner on the assembly and then started moving the dial, and pressing the button fast a few times , now it works just fine. good luck
Old April 24th, 2014, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for that Desert. I thought it was just that also. I even got a hold of someone who gave a whole set of procedures to fix the contacts on that switch without having to buy a new one. I took mine apart and cleaned what I could as it appeared dirty and faded. The conductive traces were OK as I DVM'd it out and all was good. The resistive leads faded also as I rolled the ****. I ended up buying a brand new part. Once installing, it did the same thing. At this point, I'm suspecting a general electrical problem somewhere. Not sure where to begin from here other than I saw a few ground problems.
Old May 12th, 2014, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

I bought a new switch online, plugged it in...same problem.
Took it to the shop, they brought a new switch...it worked. Everything I did was the same as there is not much at all to pulling and plugging in a new switch. Anyways, its working now.