Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

car won't start unless jumped and now parking brake light and ABS lights are on?

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2008, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car won't start unless jumped and now parking brake light and ABS lights are on?

Greetings all,

I have a '98 Cavalier that died on me last night, went to the store came out and "click" nothing. AAA came out and gave me a jump this morning the guy said it was the battery which I got less than 2yrs ago. Driving back to the house, the parking light and ABS lights were on. Any ideas what is going on with my car? Three weeks ago, check engine light, two days ago, new tires...the car is falling apart!

Thanks for any feedback!
-R
Old January 20th, 2008, 5:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: car won't start unless jumped and now parking brake light and ABS lights are on?

Is the alternator charging? an easy way to check this is start the car even if u do need to jump it. Leave it running and disconnect the hot wire off the battery. if the car stalls out after a few seconds/ minutes the alternator is toasted ...u can get it rebuilt or just go buy a new one ..as for the lights ....check all the fuses for the abs brakes ...if nothings blown take it to ur local garage and have them run a scan tool on it and see wat code its throwing ..they might b able to erase the code and it might never come back...this kinda stuff happens because of all the sensors on the car ...might of just had a miss reading..
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: car won't start unless jumped and now parking brake light and ABS lights are on?

That is not a very good\safe way of checking the alternator, and most new cars will stall regardless of whether the alternator is working or not.
The easiest\safest way would be to just read the voltage while the engine is running.put avoltmeter on the battery.A perfectly working alternator will run at 14.4volts. But with a half dead battery, or accessories running it may go down to 13volts, but revving the engine a bit should cause it to go to at least 14volts.
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:09 PM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: shawnvw

That is not a very good\safe way of checking the alternator, and most new cars will stall regardless of whether the alternator is working or not.
The easiest\safest way would be to just read the voltage while the engine is running.put avoltmeter on the battery.A perfectly working alternator will run at 14.4volts. But with a half dead battery, or accessories running it may go down to 13volts, but revving the engine a bit should cause it to go to at least 14volts.
Ditto