Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2000 Impala Cop Car: Lights wont go out unless in surv mode

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2012, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 Impala Cop Car: Lights wont go out unless in surv mode

Ok I just bought a 2000 Impala that used to be a cop car. It only had 114k on it when I bought it last thursday and runs great. I think there are some electrical issues though because the blinkers sometimes quit working. I can deal with that but now the only way i can turn the lights off are to put it in the surveilance mode. Even when I turn off the car and get out they stay on. Anyone know what the deal is with this. I am a 25 year old girl who spent every dime i had on the car and am definatly no mechanic. I am also worried that one day the surv mode is gonna stop workin and ill be screwed and have to unhook the battery every time I turn the car off just so it wont be dead when i come out(that is if im lucky enough to find a wrench that is). Its weird when I pull the light button out lights come on like normal then when i puch in one click i beleive the side orange lights come on and when I push the button all the way in (like the off position) they come right back on. I really love the car and it was an as is sale. I put new tires on it and havent had to do anything else to it. It runs so smooth and the engine is so quiet when I start it that i cant even hear it from the inside. This is my first chevy and so far i am beyond thrilled that a 12 year old car can still run this great. I love the car and am just worried that this seemingly small problem is maybe not so small. Someone PLEASE HELP!!
Old October 23rd, 2012, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unfortionitly it use to be a police car and when the police were done with it they probably just removed all the lights and left several bare wires exposed that will ground out and cause these issues. sorry but cause it was an as is sale youll have to find someone with a decent knowledge of electrical systems on vehicles and can read wiring diagrams to figure out the issues.