Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

won't start when warm unless I use Starting Fuid?

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2009, 12:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default won't start when warm unless I use Starting Fuid?

I have a 94 170k 5.7 suburban that ll of a sudden is having a problem starting when it is warmed up. I can crank it over til the battery is dead and not even an inkling of a misfire or slight attempt of a fire. A shot of Starting fluid and it fires right up. What gives?? I am going to change the cap, rotor, plugs and wires as it is well overdue. Anyone thing it is as simple as that? Could it be a fuel pump (original) issue?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks
Old March 14th, 2009, 2:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Default I am in trouble now!

I did my tune up today and just for the hell of it, I had a spark tester between the coil and the Cap just to see if there was a delay in spark when turning it over. Well it sparked and started fine BUT it just stopped after a min. or so. NO spark what so ever now. I tested the ign. fuse and there is constant power when turning it over. What do I check now? I tested the black and gray spouts on the coil but there was no power there if that means anything. I am at a loss in trouble shooting this. All ignition parts other than the cap rotor wires and plugs are original. Remeber, I have 172k on this truck.

Any help please!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 14th, 2009, 4:48 PM
CF Junior Member

I double checked and there is power going into the coil and comming out the other spout that feeds to the distributor. when in the run position.
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Default solved

problem solved! Replacing my igniton module, which tested ok by Autozone, did the trick! Started right up. Just would of liked to see some input from this forum. Very disapointed.
Old March 15th, 2009, 11:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The forum takes time 94...ya gotta be patient (and it's not nice to disparage the people here[that's "dis" for you younger folks]). Your problem was complex and could have been any number of things and yet you did finally find the answer didn't you? So lighten up please.