Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 4:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Rust Spots in Paint

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2009, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust Spots in Paint

I have a 2007 White Tahoe. In fall last year, I spent 6 hours with a clay bar removing all the rust spots in my paint. They were all pin sized to pencil point sized. They were all over the car including on the bumpers and rear hatch. I then waxed the car as normal with Mequiers. To my shock, today I see the spots are coming back! Anyone have same problem? Any permanent fixes available?
Old February 10th, 2009, 5:55 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default paint

I was under the impression thats under warrenty?

Am I incorrect?

According to the site; 100,000 miles or 6 years...

http://www.chevrolet.com/warranty/
Old February 10th, 2009, 7:48 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The problem should have been corrected during the pre-delivery inspection. You may have a ahrd time going back on GM for it, but at least this bulletin gives you details on how to remove it...

#05-08-51-008B: Bumps or Rust Colored Spots in Paint Due to Rail or Iron Dust (Remove Rail Dust) - (Apr 23, 2007)

Subject:Bumps or Rust Colored Spots in Paint Due to Rail or Iron Dust (Remove Rail Dust)

Models:1994-2007 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (Including Saturn)
2003-2007 HUMMER H2
2006-2007 HUMMER H3
2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

This bulletin is being revised to add Saturn models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-08-51-008A (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1964327&from=sm#ss1-1964327">Condition

Visible rust colored spots or bumps on a vehicle's paint surface from rail or iron dust.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1964327&from=sm#ss2-1964327">Cause

Rail dust comes from tiny iron particles produced from the friction between train wheels and the tracks and gets deposited on the vehicle surfaces. Iron dust can get deposited on the surface if the vehicle is stored near any operation producing iron dust such as a steel ore yard. Either material can lay on top of , or become embedded in , the paint surface.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1964327&from=sm#ss3-1964327">Correction

Because the severity of the condition varies, proper diagnosis of the damage is critical to the success of repairs. Diagnosis should be performed on horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, deck lid, pick up box, etc.) after the vehicle has been properly cleaned. There are two types of repair materials recommended to repair rail dust or iron dust:
  1. [*]
Caution: Rail dust remover (Oxalic Acid) is an acidic substance containing chemicals that will break down the iron particles embedded in the finish. When working with rail dust remover, use the necessary safety equipment, including gloves and goggles. Follow the chemical manufacturer's directions closely because it may require special handling and disposal.
If, upon inspection, some particles are still present, the various chemical manufacturer's processes can be repeated.
After the removal process, small pits may remain in the clearcoat and can be corrected, in most cases, with a finesse/polish operation.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1964327&from=sm#ss4-1964327">Procedure
  1. [*]
Once the damage has been repaired, the final step involves a polishing process.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1964327&from=sm#ss5-1964327">Rail Dust Remover Manufacturers

Use the chemical manufacturers listed below, or equivalent:
Auto Magic® or Clay Magic® products available from:

Auto Wax Company, Inc.
1275 Round Table Dr.
Dallas, TX 75247
(800) 826-0828 (Toll-Free) or (214) 631-4000 (Local)
Fax (214) 634-1342
www.automagic.com
info@autowaxcompany.com
E038 Fallout Gel or E038E Liquid Fallout Remover II available from:

Valvoline Car Brite Company
1910 South State Avenue
Indianapolis, In 46203
(800) 347-2439 (Toll Free) or (317) 788-9925 (Local)
Fax (317) 788-9930
www.carbrite.com
info@carbrite.com
*We believe these sources and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products from these firms or for any such items which may be available from other sources.
If rail dust remover is not available in your area, call one of the numbers listed above for a distributor near your location.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1964327&from=sm#ss6-1964327">Warranty Information (excluding Saab U.S. Models)

Although rail dust is not the result of any defects in materials or workmanship, General Motors will correct the condition on vehicles during the pre-delivery process.
Important: These labor operations only apply to vehicles shipped by rail.
Old February 10th, 2009, 8:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats not a super-rare occurrence among any make. Ford had a fit with their 98-00 F150s.
Old February 10th, 2009, 8:34 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

I also have a white 2007 that is doing the same thing. I just bought it used december of 2008 with 36858 miles on it . If you decide to contact the dealer please keep me informed on what they say. I doubt they will do anthing seeing how it was supposed to be taken care of during pre delivery.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I have them on my hood, they are very hard to see in direct sun light but can be seen during the day in the shade of a building.
I was going to try the clay bar....every white vehicle I have owned has had them it seems...
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

a picture from my hood, some of it is dirt as it rained yesterday and I haven't washed it yet...the brown or rust ones are them the black ones are dirt.
this was a pretty good picture of it, but to be honest you really can't see them unless you are right up on it and are looking for them.
Attached Thumbnails Rust Spots in Paint-stains2.jpg  
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:51 PM
CF Addict

Default covered?

so... is it covered under the 6year 72k rust warrenty? or is this out of pocket?

I think I recall a 1985 to 1990 something where all the cars paint rusted off the hoods / roofs because they didn't use a primer... whoops (not all cars; but a lot of american ones)

some new paint that wasn't supposed to need a primer..?
Old March 12th, 2009, 6:01 PM
CF Beginner

good luck i own a 2007 silverado and my buddy ownes a 2008 silverado both have them. dealer told me claybar also, after they said they fixed the problem, which they didnt. i talked to a reputible paint shop and they told me to fix correctly is to remove clear coat and respray. they told me to go after gm to fix, cause its not right. the body shop has had a few calls about the same problem and he tells them to to go after gm. using clay bar or chemicals are no good for the integrity of the paint and should be done right. i live about an hour south of chicago and now the dealer is saying its the weather that i live in, come on! they shouldnt sell these darn trucks around here then. am i supposed to leave it in the garage all year. i say contact gm directly like i did. nothing has happened yet but never no.
Old March 12th, 2009, 6:05 PM
CF Beginner

my 07 silverado is doing it too, i live in illinois

Quick Reply: Rust Spots in Paint