Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 4:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Rust Spots in Paint

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2009, 2:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

they told me to fix correctly is to remove clear coat and respray

Gentleman,

dmeskill's information is correct. What you guy's are experiencing is fallout from shipment whether it be from trains or in our case here ships. I manage a body shop here in Honolulu, Hawaii and we do a lot of new shipment damage claim work for GM, Ford and Chrysler. I see this constantly on a day to day basis and in my case its the soot from the stack of the ship. The "rail dust" that the TSB below talks about is misleading. What they should call it is "rail sparks" because thats exactly what they are. The tiny iron particles produced from the friction between train wheels (metal) and the tracks (also metal)come off HOT just like sparks and they "burn" into your painted surface and thats why you see little rust spots because they have burnt right through the clear coat and base coat and hit metal. Thats why even if you clay bar your vehicle it eventually comes back because the pin holes are unprotected and exposed to the elements. The only way to fix that is to completely sand down the affected surfaces and re-paint. In some cases that we have come across we have had to actually re-shoot the base and clear coats. Now claying your car to much is also not good. Its a form of buffing and "strips" clear off of your vehicle like buffing does. Its nasty stuff and unfortunately a lot of the cars that are shipped by boat or train have this problem. Recently I have seen Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infinity, Toyota/Lexus, Porsche/Landrover, BMW/Mini, Mercedes and Jaguar start covering the entire tops of there vehicles that are shipped to Hawaii with thick plastic to prevent fallout. That tells me that they damn well know that there is a problem and there tired of paying claims on fallout. I hope this answers some questions.....

Last edited by ubtow; March 14th, 2009 at 2:37 AM. Reason: Added something
Old May 16th, 2014, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rust color spots

Yes it is from rail dust. But I have been on the phone for over a week and nobody will fix the problem. I can get rid of it for a few months but comes right back.i will never own a bother chevy.im done with them not fixing there factory's problems
Old May 16th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

As you can see from the post just ahead of your's, it's not limited to GM.