Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Spent 8 hrs at dealer today

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2016, 8:25 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
for this generation the upper ball joint cannot be changed without replacing the control arm. have a look at his pics.
They look like they're pressed in. Guess there's no way to press them out.
Old May 18th, 2016, 8:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
They look like they're pressed in. Guess there's no way to press them out.
and no replacement made to press in.
Old May 18th, 2016, 11:25 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks tech2, was not aware of the change.
Old May 19th, 2016, 6:27 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by justimagination
YOUR QUOTE :I said I just had you guys replace that last August 2015. But I had supplied the part, which was purchased off amazon.

First, good information from teck2. Second, I find it hard to believe a authorized dealer would let someone supply parts, that's a NONO. As far as your experience with this facility, it is not a place I would take my vehicle. Your repair was profitable for them whether you spent all day or not. A technician especially a front end tech, can change the ball joint in question rather than a complete control arm. Ring one up for the P&L account (it's called profit & loss). If I had one piece of advise for you, DO NOT go back to that dealership. It's a hard lesson to learn, but you will learn from this. Todays society is all about $$$$$$$. There is no way you can convince myself that my original 99 Tahoe @ 32,343.00 NEW, is in todays economy is in the area of 65,000 plus.
Hang in there and keep your car serviced, might try shopping, too many questionable stories about dealerships, always has been and always will. JMHO, and good luck
That was the 2nd part that i have supplied myself that I had them install. The first part was GM OEM and it was the lower transmission cooler line. Why do you say its a nono on the dealer's part?

Yeah I might just have to go find another dealer, the next closest one is like almost 30 miles away. This dealer is only 5 miles away, and this was the first time I had a bad experience. I have an friend an honest tech, but its just so hard to get a hold of him to do side work.

Last edited by Typerod; May 19th, 2016 at 6:31 AM.
Old May 19th, 2016, 8:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

installing customer supplied parts can be a pita sometimes...if the part is wrong...the truck is stuck on the hoist and you can't do anything until the correct part is supplied.
if your a flat rate technician...you make no money the entire time the vehicle is stuck on your hoist. Secondly, aftermarket parts sometimes take longer to install because they don't fit right....I will never install dorman trans cooler lines again after my experience with them.
Old May 20th, 2016, 7:44 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I see, I will always only use OEM GM on my Tahoe. And I am always sure I am providing the correct part, I'll get the dealership parts folks to give me the correct part number, then I double check with another dealer, lol.
Old May 20th, 2016, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or you get the main part but none of the seals or preliminary parts to go with it...a lot of places will turn away customer supplied parts but we just usually make sure they are well aware that there is no warranty of any kind on it and that there may be other things involved

My mom has even done that to me ha, she got a hood release cable locally and I ended up having it in and out 3 different times and had to swap around grommets for it to work.