Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

FOR THEM WHO WANTS TO DISABLE THERE DRL

Old January 10th, 2012, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime running lights

2002 Chevy Suburban Z71. ok here goes.... I tinted my front windshield now my headlights turn on for most of the day unless i'm under direct sunlight. The minute I get a light cloud or shade head lights turn on. Can I adjust the sensitivity on the sensor? or can I remove the plastic cover?
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Never heard of someone tinting the windshield, but it's not too sunny where I live either.

I think you're only easy option is to use the resistor method for your '02, or do that button pushing thing every time you start your truck.

Wonder if there's money to be made hiring an electronics engineer to design add-on circuits to disable these functions.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

Why would you want to do this?
Old February 3rd, 2012, 7:42 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

See my post #9
Old February 8th, 2012, 9:24 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaneDMac
Why would you want to do this?
Hunters often don't want lights coming on so as not to loose vision that has adjusted to the dark.
Its also a secondary fix for animals to sense, they can hear you , with the lights on they can see you and that helps get a triangulation...
and some people just don't like change....or someone else telling them how to be safe...
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just lost a bunch of my typing so now I am mad and will be quick. Every DRL discussion in every forum turns into, OMG, why would you do that. I say, why would Joe buy a truck and John buys a car, different strokes you know. For some, maybe looks, for others, maybe they don't need a car deciding when lights should be on or off, for others, maybe they can think for themselves and don't need a law to tell them to wear a helmet or turn lights on in poor visibility, whatever, some like them some don't. If you don't want a seat belt chime, I can help with that without asking why you don't want to wear a seatbelt. Maybe you wear a seatbelt and don't need a chime reminding you all the time to buckle up. I have disabled some, not because I don't buckle up but because in a few of my past rides, the chime was obnoxious. I have also disabled DRLs in several vehicles, most were Chevys. Some by removing modules, some with wiring to trick the BCM, others more primitive means like modifying the base of the DRL bulbs in cars without warnings for burned out bulbs. If someone asks me how to do it I'll just answer without trying to be a lawyer / safety expert / preecher.
Old May 24th, 2012, 1:11 PM
Administrator

GMT900s are easy to turn off. Just pull the DRL fuse.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 8:33 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back in 2000 I had a 99 Silverado. I remember buying a kit off the internet that installed a switch on the dash to disable the DRL/Auto headlights. It looked like a factory install. I've looked for it again and can't find it. Anyone know about this?
Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In '96 Suburbhoes there is a module under the steering column that can be pulled to disable the DRLs with no adverse side effects. Not sure how on the '99s. I had an idea to start a side business selling instructions or a kit, depending on the vehicle but liability issues suck. The "what ifs" of this type of business are scary. So just like the warning on the cup of coffee that it may be hot is lame, I think these types of products went away simply due to the risk of liability. It's sad really that we can't take responsibility for ourselves any more.

Some good points have been made in this thread and I too frequent campgrounds and hate trying to outguess what my headlights are going to do in the evening or forgetting to disable the auto headlights while starting at night when my front end may be aimed at someone's tent, not being able to see my nav screen or backup cam because I started my truck in the shade / garage and the truck thinks it is dark so it dims the display of the TNR800. Brilliant! I installed a backup cam for better visibility when backing up, now I can't see the screen. Yes that is an auto headlight issue but the auto headlights are a result of DRL deficiencies in the original DRL setup where evening came, drivers thought their headlights were on so they didn't turn the switch. This results in "headlights" that are not bright enough, no marker lights and no instrument lights. This is why we have the auto headlights, because GMs insistence on full-time, usually hard to defeat DRLs. And imagine this, the Fords I see without auto headlights and DRLs have headlights on at night, wow! As soon as I get the right resistor, I'm disabling my auto headlights. To me that is just a nuisance.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DPLarson
GMs insistence on full-time, usually hard to defeat DRLs.
What's hard about pulling a fuse to defeat the DRLs?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FOR THEM WHO WANTS TO DISABLE THERE DRL