Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

FOR THEM WHO WANTS TO DISABLE THERE DRL

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try that on a mid '00s Cavalier, pulling the fuse messes with other electronics and pulling the bulbs throws errors, I forget, either CEL/MIL or replace lamps warning. On my '96 'burb, other things also ran on the same fuse. On the '06, I don't remember but there again, the fuse was not an option. It either disabled other options or I just could not identify it. I remember trying several fuses labeled headlights or DRL but nothing disabled them without disabling other electronics as well. I hear on the GMT900s it is just a fuse but that is not the case on all Chevys or GMs. The Cavalier was particularly difficult, rewiring to trick the BCM to think the parking brake was on but to not indicate the P brake on the dash or something like that. It's been a while, I forget the details. The car that was a Malibu but renamed a Classic for one year. I think I did that one but don't even remember how. They did seem to purposly make it had to defeat on some, for a while anyway. If you can tell me what fuse for the '06 'burb, great! But don't just find the e-manual and tell me every fuse labeled DRL. I've tried them.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Should have been more clear as I was referring just to the GMT900s.
Old August 4th, 2012, 7:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since the DRLs are their own bulbs since 2000, why not just remove the DRL bulbs?
Seems the simplest way to disable them.
Old August 6th, 2012, 2:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Looks like garbage having the dark spots where bulbs should be. Some have defeated the DRLs on these by installing bad bulbs. This works well on vehicles that don't have warnings about burned out lamps. Looks better if the bulbs are bad without being all dark like they sometimes get when they burn out. There are ways to have a bulb that looks new not work if a person gets creative I suppose; black tape on the contacts, file or clip the contacts on the bottom of the bulb, cut wires, hook up the bulb to one point twenty-one jiggawatts for a moment...
Old August 6th, 2013, 3:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When in the fast food drive through I would like to be able to turn off my lights so I don't blind the car in front of me. When going through the christmas light display, I wish I could turn off my lights as not to ruin the display for everyone else there. Not to say blinding the driver in front of me. Also I am capable of turning on my lights my self. Anyone that is not smart enough should not be driving.
Old August 6th, 2013, 8:26 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Just pull the DRL fuse in the under hood fuse box to permanently disable the DRLs.

kellyh: You can manually turn off your headlites by turning to the off position momentarily. Then again to turn back on. Kind of like a Windows computer where you have to click on Start to turn it off.
Old August 7th, 2013, 9:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Shark, again, on many Chevys and other GMs it can be much more involved than pulling a fuse. You "lucked out" with the GMT900. I know of four different types of Chevys besides the GMT900 that have at least three different techniques of how to defeat the DRLs, none of which are as simple as pulling a fuse.

Kelly has a '03 Tahoe and his best bet would be to modify the base of the bulb to make them inoperable. A simple wire cutter or file should do it. Well that's what I've heard anyway.

Kelly, I do the Christmas light thing with a '06 Suburban full of family and friends. Just put the lights on P. This lets you be seen without blinding anyone. I don't remember for sure on the '03 but you should be able to rotate that switch fully counter-clockwise momentarily to turn off the DRLs and auto headlights if you have those.

Last edited by DPLarson; August 7th, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old August 8th, 2013, 6:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kellyh
When in the fast food drive through I would like to be able to turn off my lights so I don't blind the car in front of me. When going through the christmas light display, I wish I could turn off my lights as not to ruin the display for everyone else there. Not to say blinding the driver in front of me. Also I am capable of turning on my lights my self. Anyone that is not smart enough should not be driving.
On the 2003 model you should be able to temp disable the lights by pressing the interior light switch button off/on 2 or 3 times quick.
Old August 9th, 2013, 5:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you are correct that the 03 tahoe can turn the lights off when turning the light switch counter clock wise. But there are some cars that can't turn them off. I don't think my 01 taurus and 01 sable can. BUT I will look at putting the light switch to the park posion and see if that works on those cars. The only thing that I remember that will turn off the lights is when the parking brake is on. Thanks Kelly
Old August 10th, 2013, 10:12 AM
CF Junior Member

The method to defeat DRLs varies greatly from one vehicle to the next and, even within the same brand. It also changes with time too. I've had two Suburbans, each with a different method. I hope the parking light method of shutting off your headlights / DRLs or the turning the switch counterclockwise works for you. As for the other cars, surely you know this is the wrong forum for that and we shouldn't gum up a sticky thread with off-topic discussion. But I will add just FYI that my 2000 Windstar has no DRLs and does have a standard Off / P / On headlight switch so I find that interesting about the Taurus and Sable.

Quick Reply: FOR THEM WHO WANTS TO DISABLE THERE DRL