Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Questions about the '92-'94 Suburbans

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2014, 2:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the '92-'94 Suburbans

Hey, it's been a while since I was last on here.

Last year, I bought a used 2000 Tahoe K1500 that was (and still is!) an amazing machine.

Only problem was that due to the nature of my job, I now require more cargo room than my current rig is able to provide, even with the third row seats removed and the 2nd folded flat!

I decided on the '92-'94 Suburban range because I like that particular style and interior. I hear that it was the last "decent" interior that GM put out before quality started to take a dive. I understand these didn't come with airbags, but I can live without them since I rarely drive on the street or highway to deliver the goods that is required in my line of work.

However, I still have a few lingering questions...

1. I know that the standard gas tank size for this series was 42 gallons, but I read somewhere that some were ordered with 28 gallon tanks. Is there any truth to this? Does it depend on whether or not it's 4WD?

2. I am currently aiming for a K1500 (4WD) since the stuff I transport (catering usually) isn't nearly heavy enough to justify the 2500. That being said, I'm curious as to the payload capacity of the '92-'94 K1500 Suburbans. I calculated the GVWR and subtracted that by it's curb weight and it came back to just over 2000 lbs. I plan on removing the 3rd row seat and the tow hitch since I am not planning on towing at all with this truck. Will this alter the payload capacity in any way?

3. I read on another forum that the 4l60(e) transmissions can't handle any more than 350 lbs of torque and 300 HP. Will I have to swap out the transmission if I want to go that far? And is the 4l60e any better than the 4l60 4-speed that came only on the '92s?

4. What colors were available during that period? What changed for '93 and '94?

5. Is the tail/liftgate rare in this model year range? I decided against the barn doors because I think the tail/litigate looks and works better for me.

6. Does anyone know if the single headlight "work truck" grille is a straight swap to the stock quads? In addition to transporting stuff, this truck will also be my "Anti-Zombie" vehicle and I want it to look the part!

7. Are steel wheels going to be too much for the K1500 to handle? I see them all the time on 2500s, but I'm wondering if 2 additional lugs really make that much difference.

8 (Last one for now). I noticed that this range came with 2 different gauge clusters. One with the RPM gauge, the other without. Are they swappable? And did it depend on what model you got?

Thank you!

-Ryan
Old September 19th, 2014, 12:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, you don't have to answer every single question. Just the one you know the answer to.