Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Whining sound with acceleration

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2013, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I now have 103,000 on my Sub and the noise is still there. Car is running fine.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

Default Whining sound with acceleration and deceleration.

I have a 2005 Tahoe 104K miles and it has a supercharger. I started hearing a low pitched whining sound when I accelerated. It would increase in volume. I brought it in to the mechanic who took the blower off the supercharger and sent it out to be rebuilt as the manufacturer said it was shot, he did some work on the rear end, as well as replaced the battery, belts, and a tensioner. (I don't have the receipt for the specifics as I am still paying him off.) Unrelated, I had him replace the shocks as they were the original. He did nothing with the front end.

$6K later and almost a month later, I pick up the Tahoe and the noise is still there.

1) The noise is from the front, and whether I am driving or in the passenger seat, the noise is the same.
2) I can not reproduce the noise revving in park, or revving in neutral. It only occurs while the Tahoe is in motion.
3) The noise has actually gotten worse. It is most noticeable when the car is in the 30-35 mph range. It can be heard over the radio and over the engine at that speed. Once at highway speed, it seems to blend in with the engine and tire sounds.
4) When decelerating, it makes a deep, winding down sound.
5) Yesterday, for the first time, It made a growly-screetch sound when I made a left turn onto a side street, and did the same when I backed out of a driveway shortly after that.
6) The noise started about a month after I had my front brakes repaired.

I'm a mom who needs her car and can't afford another high repair bill or to be borrowing cars for another month. Does anyone have any idea what could be happening? I'm at my wit's end. The dealership I purchased it from is no longer in business, or I would just go back to them.

Any help, advice, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old November 12th, 2015, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JGRiopel852
I have the same issue, and have not found the a solution yet. I have check wear bearing and all that. Is it more of a whining or almost a whistle?
Check to see if your power steering pump is bad..
Old November 12th, 2015, 7:50 PM
CF Active Member

My guess is it's somewhere in the rear differential and the sound is being transmitted to the front on the truck by the drive shaft. I just had my rear loose all of the clutches and started a whining noise at lower speeds. I had it rebuilt with a Yukon Gear center section, all new bearings and seals and I couldn't be happier. Have a mechanic that specializes in rear diff work test drive it, pretty sure your hearing a pinion bearing wearing out.
Old January 12th, 2016, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default truck problems

My 2007 Classic Chevy is doing the same... Whining when I push on the gas then not as bad when I let off. It sounds almost like bad tires.. (But they are not). I am having someone look at it this week and need some insight on what to expect. This isn't good!>.

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 7th, 2017, 12:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so I am going to open this thread back up as I just bought a 1997 C2500 LT with 454 and 4.11 locking rear diff and driving it home noticed the same whining sound under acceleration that is mentioned in this post. Here's the likely culprit; Carrier bearing. Same sound from my 1990 F350 and it was the carrier bearing. I have a pretty good tranny guy and he knew before even looking at the F350 what the problem was. And, after replacing, whining sound under acceleration went away. One clue for all of you to know that gives it away as the carrier bearing, it only whines under acceleration and then when you let off accelerator and/or slow to 5-10 MPH, sound goes away. On this Suburban I bought today I did notice it had a newer looking drive shaft. Was suspicious of that but during the test drive I didn't hear the whine. Wasn't till I got on the freeway going home I noticed this. I suspect if the vehicle was used to tow a lot, a bad carrier bearing would be a common issue. Hope this helps others.
The following users liked this post:
JimmieeeC (December 30th, 2020)
Old September 2nd, 2017, 3:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1999 tahoe and am having the same issues as 2005TahoeSS stated. The exact same sound. I even made a video and posted to Youtube, but no comments. About 4 months ago I replaced all the brake components on the front. New calibers, rotors, pads, master cylinder, and brake booster. I replaced in the last month the rear drums, shoes, axle seals, and bearings. Serviced the front and rear differentials, and replaced the front hub assemblies. I was hearing a squeaking sound, and thought it was coming from the front, so I took apart my front brakes to put some brake grease on the contact points. After doing this, the sound started. I found that one of my rear drums was ate up after fixing them, and thats when I put new drums, shoes, did the bearings, axle seals, and serviced the rear differential. Trying to find the cause of this noise is when I did the front differential, and hub assemblies. I also replaced the Universal joints on the driveshaft. It sounds like it is in the front, and I feel a vibration in the gas pedal and floorboard. I have considered the carrier bearings, and pinion bearing, but I found it odd the noise started after greasing the front brake contact points, but there is no uneven wear on the front pads or rotors or anything indicating it is brake related. I am at a loss for words, as the sound keeps getting worse. Here is a video I made, I hope it is allowed here. There are no ads or anything, as I'm just trying to find a solution to my dilemma.
The following users liked this post:
Paintguy68 (November 23rd, 2019)
Old April 7th, 2018, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

My 2004 Suburban has the same. I don't think the 350,000 miles is the cause. Would like to fix it though.
Old May 20th, 2018, 12:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by realestateguy123
I have a 1999 tahoe and am having the same issues as 2005TahoeSS stated. The exact same sound. I even made a video and posted to Youtube, but no comments. About 4 months ago I replaced all the brake components on the front. New calibers, rotors, pads, master cylinder, and brake booster. I replaced in the last month the rear drums, shoes, axle seals, and bearings. Serviced the front and rear differentials, and replaced the front hub assemblies. I was hearing a squeaking sound, and thought it was coming from the front, so I took apart my front brakes to put some brake grease on the contact points. After doing this, the sound started. I found that one of my rear drums was ate up after fixing them, and thats when I put new drums, shoes, did the bearings, axle seals, and serviced the rear differential. Trying to find the cause of this noise is when I did the front differential, and hub assemblies. I also replaced the Universal joints on the driveshaft. It sounds like it is in the front, and I feel a vibration in the gas pedal and floorboard. I have considered the carrier bearings, and pinion bearing, but I found it odd the noise started after greasing the front brake contact points, but there is no uneven wear on the front pads or rotors or anything indicating it is brake related. I am at a loss for words, as the sound keeps getting worse. Here is a video I made, I hope it is allowed here. There are no ads or anything, as I'm just trying to find a solution to my dilemma. https://youtu.be/T6XaoELnsmY

did you ever figure out what the issue was?? I'm having the same whinning noise as your video!! Thanks!
Old June 12th, 2018, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

I found this site because my Tahoe was making that same noise. Its an 07 with about 210,000 on it. I love this vehicle. I noticed the sound halfway to church and on my way home it got louder. When I got home it turns out it was the transcooler line. I didnt want to fry the transmission so I called the local shop that has worked on it for me since I got it. He towed it in for me and I am hoping it was the just the line and the plates in the clutch didnt seize. I absolutely love this vehicle. I have done normal oil changes and maintanence and recently had to do some ignition coils. I will probably have to do a few more. I blame ethanol for that and only use super now. I will let you know how I make it and if it is just the line.

Quick Reply: Whining sound with acceleration