Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Whining sound with acceleration

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2022, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ktmguy9p
Did you ever get this figured out? I rebuild my rear end today. My bearings had some slight wear but nothing alarming. I went ahead and did carrier bearings and both pinion bearings. I still have the noise. The video fits it perfectly
I’m having the same issue. Did you figure out what is was?
Old September 22nd, 2022, 3:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by belving6
I have a 99 with 170k miles. I'm hearing this whining sound that starts around 40 mph. It's faint and only happens when on the accelerator. Goes away when letting off the gas and comes back when on the gas. Its constant while cruising. Sounds like it is coming from the front but not sure. After taking it to 3 mechanics, diagnosis was trany pump was going out and i needed new transmission. Took it to have the trany rebuilt and there was nothing wrong with trany. So far I have replaced differential fluids in front and rear, front differential gear and bearing, pitman arm, trany diagnosed, U joints, front and rear brakes. Unfortunately after lots of money and mechanics, I still have no idea what is causing the noise. Anyone ever experience this before? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I have a leak somewhere with the power steering and when it gets low it makes that sound and I would have though power steering...would have been when I turned the wheel. Nope does it when I accelerate.... and once I put more fluid in, it goes away.
Old June 8th, 2023, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

I know this thread is ancient but I don't care : P

Only happens when touching the gas, whine pitch increases with speed. loudest at 55+

2004 Suburban with the issue:
Old June 11th, 2023, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It could be alot of things, my fuel pump made a loud whining noise for a long time. Then it could be the universals or if it's 4x4 it could be the transfer case. I hope you all have fixed your issue but I would bet one of them was the fuel pump cause mine was pretty loud.
Old June 11th, 2023, 2:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

@ErikTande Can you tell if it's more from front end or back? Maybe have someone drive while you sit in different locations to try and isolate if unsure. Since it's only happening with acceleration, my 1st guess is the rear diffrential. Good vid btw! Please let us know what you find.
Old January 18th, 2024, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 Tahoe LT 4x4

I have a similar issue however it's not like the humming in the video above... It's a whistle (not a brake squeal) that starts-up above 20mph approx and dies off below that speed...it seems to change pitch with braking-unbraking. Doesn't do it stopped at any RPMs, only in motion above 20mph. I have a service stability control message but not sure if it's related. Thanks.
Old January 18th, 2024, 6:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by RicksterQ
I have a service stability control message but not sure if it's related.
well run a diagnostic scan for the faults, and find out.
Old June 10th, 2024, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=belving6;152092]I have a 99 with 170k miles. I'm hearing this whining sound that starts around 40 mph. It's faint and only happens when on the accelerator. Goes away when letting off the gas and comes back when on the gas. Its constant while cruising. Sounds like it is coming from the front but not sure. After taking it to 3 mechanics, diagnosis was trany pump was going out and i needed new transmission. Took it to have the trany rebuilt and there was nothing wrong with trany. So far I have replaced differential fluids in front and rear, front differential gear and bearing, pitman arm, trany diagnosed, U joints, front and rear brakes. Unfortunately after lots of money and mechanics, I still have no idea what is causing the noise. Anyone