Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

NAV Radio Audio Quirk - Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAV Radio Audio Quirk - Any ideas?

I just recently installed a Nav radio in my 2007 Suburban. It is unlocked and everything is working great. Except when I put in a DVD, only the background music of the movie will play. The voices of the characters in the movie cannot be heard. Any ideas? Does this sound like a programming issue or could it be the deck itself?
Old September 4th, 2009, 3:44 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Try another DVD. I have seen this issue once before. I believe it was an audio setting within the dvd itself(ie: 5.1 surround), but customer didn't have time and other dvds worked fine so I coulnd't look into it too far but I never saw it back again
Old September 5th, 2009, 12:39 AM
CF Junior Member

I have tried several DVD's after reading your post. Some of them work just fine without any change in audio setting. Others work perfectly in French, Spanish or whatever other language is offered, but not English. Some work with background noise only and the characters voices are muted. Any idea why this would be so different from DVD to DVD? My old non-Nav deck played anything I put in it perfectly.
Old September 5th, 2009, 7:55 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you have to find the setting to play it in 2.1 stereo rather than the 5.1 it is probably defaulting to. French or spanich probably don't have the option for 5.1 which is why its playing fine. I don't rememeber if it is a hard setting within the NAV, or a setting with the dvd option when you insert the dvd and go through the dvd menu options.....I believe its the latter
Old September 6th, 2009, 2:34 PM
CF Junior Member

I am hoping to get this all sorted out soon. I have tried 10 different DVD's. From simple training DVD's to motion picture movies. The simple training DVD's work fine, but I have not been able to find a motion picture DVD that will work. I have selected different options in the audio setup on the DVD menu, but still have had no luck. Is there a setting on the deck itself? I know it needs to play in 2.1, but for the life of me, I can't find a setting on the deck to make it play ALL DVD's that way. I would find it hard to believe that the deck would require someone to change the audio setting for every DVD it plays. Any ideas?
Old September 8th, 2009, 7:33 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default head unit

the GM head unit is crap, I know because I have a 2009 one. it does dozens of things wrong... I had a list at one point but gave up... next time I want the ford sync...
Old September 8th, 2009, 9:56 AM
CF Junior Member

SabrToothSqrl

I believe this unit is from a 2009 vehicle. I do know it is made by Delphi. Did you have this same trouble with your DVD player? I am ready to send this back and put my original non-nav unit back in.
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:08 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yea

I have only tried 1 DVD and it worked... I have no kids, nor want them so I really have no use for it... sorry

my list:

Things the 2009 Chevrolet Tahoe does wrong electronically.

1. Display shows incoming caller ID, not name when programmed into phone
2. Vehicle says “you have an incoming call from” vs “Incoming Call”
3. Pressing ‘cancel’ after using Voice Recognition says “Voice Recognition canceled” vs. nothing
4. Does not allow scrolling of address book while moving
5. Does not allow entry of address destination while moving
6. Voice recognition for destinations never work
7. Voice commands for making calls and using the radio are two different buttons
8. Adjusting the volume while the navigation is speaking changes the navigation voice volume
9. Navigation system does not say street names
10. Navigation system uses improper fractions ie: “four tenths of a mile”
11. You can not disable the ‘Traffic’ tab even if you do not subscribe
12. Will not call 911 if you do not have a subscription, while the Ford Sync will
13. Map DVDs can be heard being read while the vehicle is off
14. Polarization of the screen is at the wrong angle, obscures image when using sunglasses
15. Inability to transfer phone book from phone to vehicle via Bluetooth
16. Side streets are not shown as more than thin lines unless zoomed too 700 feet
17. Multiple address entries for waypoints must be entered illogically
18. Destinations addresses are not very accurate
19. Waypoint destinations are extremely inaccurate
20. Inability to use voice to enter address destination
21. No volume setting for horn on door lock (length)
22. Voice prompts that sound like two people recorded them