Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

1998 Tracker transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2009, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Tracker transmission problems

Hi, my sister has been complaining about her tracker not shifting and going into gear properly. I looked briefly at it today and noticed this. It is a 5 speed standard transmission. When I put it into gear it was kinda surging or loping a bit. It was kinda hard to get out of gear and when i went to go to first I couldn't. I had to shut it off and start it in gear (with clutch depressed of course). The other gears were very stiff to get into as well. A mechanic said the clutch, pressure plate, etc were all bad. I disagree cause the clutch doesn't slip. I can hear a growling sound too. I am thinking it could be a throwout bearing? Anybody shed light onto this?
Old January 28th, 2009, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

Hello,

As far as the noise, with the clutch peddle out and you have noise it is the input shaft bearing. With the peddle pressed it is the throwout bearing, that is when it is spinning. Getting into gear hard and what you described sounds like the slave cylinder. Whether it is low on fluid or leaking down. It also could be a bad master cylinder for the slave cylinder, where you put the fluid in at. I would check those before I would do the clutch thing. I don't think it sounds like the clutch either.
Old February 19th, 2011, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

And if all that is OK...the mechanic is right. Two possibilities...the clutch is not getting disengaged enough, or it is getting disengaged (the clutch).
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by transguy37
Hello,

As far as the noise, with the clutch peddle out and you have noise it is the input shaft bearing. With the peddle pressed it is the throwout bearing, that is when it is spinning. Getting into gear hard and what you described sounds like the slave cylinder. Whether it is low on fluid or leaking down. It also could be a bad master cylinder for the slave cylinder, where you put the fluid in at. I would check those before I would do the clutch thing. I don't think it sounds like the clutch either.
transgus37 is right. You shold de doing the same.
Old April 11th, 2011, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

All of the above is correct. An additional tip that I have found useful regards a step after adding fluid to the hydraulic clutch reservoir. After replacing the cover, I pump the clutch pedal repeatedly to purge air or to otherwise make sure that fluid reaches the system's nether regions.

Last edited by Arkady; April 11th, 2011 at 2:06 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old March 27th, 2017, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

If im correct this truck's clutch pedal is cable driven and does not have a master cylinder or slave cylinder.