Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

2000 Tracker Camshaft Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2011, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Tracker Camshaft Position Sensor

My tracker stopped running suddenly and needed to be towed as it would not start. A scan pulled the P0340 and P0400 codes.
A bought a wrecker Camshaft Position Sensor and replaced the sensor. First I replaced the plastic sensor only, not wanting to fool around with the sensor assembly (some places it says this would involve getting timing done - but no mention of that in my Haynes manual), cleared code, wouldn't start. The P0400 code disappeared at this time (it may have had something to do with the fact that I was down shifting when the engine shut off). Then I replaced the sensor assembly as well - still wouldn't start, but does turn over eagerly.<O</O
I have the 2.0L engine with the double overhead cam. I have 3 wires going to the sensor.<O</O
Using jumpers I connected the sensor to the connector. I put a voltmeter in-between to monitor the voltage.<O</O
Jumping the outside two wires and monitoring the middle wire and turning the sensor with my hand (had it out anyway and easier than turning engine slowly as per Haynes) I found the voltage varied between 0-5 volts as I turned.<O</O
Monitoring the outside wire while turning the sensor I got a steady 12 volts with no change.<O</O
My questions: shouldn't the 12 volts have varied as well? If the sensor is good then....engine fried?
Old February 25th, 2012, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2000 chevy tracker code p340

Originally Posted by Pearlwhitez28
My tracker stopped running suddenly and needed to be towed as it would not start. A scan pulled the P0340 and P0400 codes.
A bought a wrecker Camshaft Position Sensor and replaced the sensor. First I replaced the plastic sensor only, not wanting to fool around with the sensor assembly (some places it says this would involve getting timing done - but no mention of that in my Haynes manual), cleared code, wouldn't start. The P0400 code disappeared at this time (it may have had something to do with the fact that I was down shifting when the engine shut off). Then I replaced the sensor assembly as well - still wouldn't start, but does turn over eagerly.<O</O
I have the 2.0L engine with the double overhead cam. I have 3 wires going to the sensor.<O</O
Using jumpers I connected the sensor to the connector. I put a voltmeter in-between to monitor the voltage.<O</O
Jumping the outside two wires and monitoring the middle wire and turning the sensor with my hand (had it out anyway and easier than turning engine slowly as per Haynes) I found the voltage varied between 0-5 volts as I turned.<O</O
Monitoring the outside wire while turning the sensor I got a steady 12 volts with no change.<O</O
My questions: shouldn't the 12 volts have varied as well? If the sensor is good then....engine fried?

i have the same symptions and changed the modual. Voltages are as stated in haynes manual. What should i do next???
Old February 26th, 2012, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default Camshaft results

If you had the sensor out as I did and turned it over and got good voltage, then the sensor is working fine.
The next thing to do, since the sensor and body are out anyway (or not really that hard to take out on my model) is look in the sensor hole to see if the end of the camshaft is turning when you turn over the engine. If the camshaft is not turning when you turn over the engine....then you lost your timing chain just like I did!
The pistons hit the valves and made a nice mess.
No fear though, I am not a mechanic, a mechanic I know told me I could never rebuild it myself, but that is exactly what I did this summer.
Follow the Haynes, it will take time but the design is very simple and you can't screw it up as long as you follow the instructions.
I got another wrecker block and replaced the wrecked one, ordered all parts from Rockauto Online (one of the only places in continent that has the parts at all). I also lapped the valves and re-ported the wrecker block because I got carried away and figured since I had it open I might as well fix it while I could.
I never dreamed it would actually start right away, but it did, and then I never dreamed it would pass emissions, but it did that too with flying colours.
Well you could never say that these things are fast, I now own a Chev Tracker that can scream to 80km/hr in second gear. Pretty amazing.
If you thinking of doing the same post any questions here, I'll try to help if I can and if I have time.
Old May 20th, 2016, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

my 2000 tracker 2.0 4wd auto says camshaft sensor where is it located so i can replace it.the auto store only sold me the plastic piece so i thought i would try it first but i still have no idea where to find the sensor.

Last edited by bettyp3173; May 20th, 2016 at 2:00 PM.
Old May 21st, 2016, 3:24 AM
CF Beginner

It is at the back of the engine, on the drivers side, mounted on the head. Just image were the cam is on that side and follow it back. It is right between the engine and the firewall.