Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Chevy tracker lights and heater come on by themselves

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2011, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy tracker lights and heater come on by themselves

Anyone know why a 2002 Chevy trackers lights and heater blower would come on by themselves? Everything is off then hours later they will come on without the key even being in the ignition. They won't turn off unless you hit the automatic window switch to the up position. it sounds crazy but its true.
the car was bought brand new by my son and everything is original no one has ever been under the dash to rewire anything.
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like some sort of a prank. How old is your son? What "lights" were on and what were the HVAC control settings? And, "you hit the automatic window switch to the up position" with or without opening the door first and with or without the key in ignition?
Old April 7th, 2011, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

headlights and dash board lights were on. key was not in the ignition, door was open when he hit the window switch. Someone told me maybe the body controller could be getting wet and shorting out. it was raining both time that it happened this week.
Old April 7th, 2011, 5:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, then, something is "shorting out" but not the BCM since I don't think the Tracker had one. What's probably happening is that there's current leakage through the ignition switch, just enough to energize a few relays involved in the blower fan, ALC control, anything else you did or didn't notice. The funny thing with a relay coil is that it takes an initial surge to close the contact but then much less power to maintain that state. The power window switch makes sense since it had the effect of shunting whatever available electricity to ground, de-energizing the relays. Next time, try the cigarette lighter or radio instead.
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

Same thing happend to my 03 Tracker, it was getting water in thru the firewall and wetting the fuse box PCB and causing the headlights to come on, and yes putting a wedge in the power window switch did shunt it out, so the battery did not die...
Old December 28th, 2013, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation Lights come by themselves

A friend of mine has the same problem as above, Has there been any fixes?

Same problems found in Suzuki forums but no answers.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2002 chevy tracker

My sister has same problem but didnt matter rain or shine she taped window button to de-energize the issue with windows and the blower motor this last weekend I changed the ignition and wiring It took care of issue so we thought last night she discovered her headlights were back on now rack my brain on what else it could be anyone have ideas yet on this ?