Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Why does my 2000 Chevy Tracker with 20 engine die after it gets hot but restarts OK after cooling fo

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2008, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my 2000 Chevy Tracker with 20 engine die after it gets hot but restarts OK after cooling fo

Why does my 2000 Chevy Tracker with 20 engine die after it gets hot but restarts OK after cooling for 10 minutes?

4d

Engine Size (liters)
[align=center]2[/align]

Cylinders
[align=center]4[/align]

Transmission
[align=center]Automatic 4-spd[/align]

Drive
[align=center]4-Wheel [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]
Old March 29th, 2008, 9:58 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Why does my 2000 Chevy Tracker with 20 engine die after it gets hot but restarts OK after cooling fo

How many miles does it have on it?
Old June 21st, 2008, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Why does my 2000 Chevy Tracker with 20 engine die after it gets hot but restarts OK after cooling fo

I have been having the same issue for over 2 months and I finally found several website with other having the same issue. Their fix was to have the Cam Shaft Position Sensor replace and all was better. I sill be doing the same today.

See if that may be your issue.

Old June 28th, 2008, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

I replaced the Cam Position Sensor myself last Sunday after posting on here. I have not had any other issues all week!

Geoff
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

If you want to test the senor, carry some water bottles and went it dies, get out and slowly pour the water over the sensor. It should cool the sensor down and allow the engine to start again.

This worked for me until I was convince to spend some more $$$ on replacing the sensor
Old June 25th, 2009, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Talking Tracker problems

This thread has helped me so much. I first looked at it in November but me being female not one listened to my thoughts on what was happening to my tracker. Well its June now and I finally got on the thread again reread the information and sent the link to my boyfriend. He calls a mechanic friend and finally after changing the fuel filter, flushing the injectors, changing the fuel pump they camshaft position sensor is indeed the problem. It finally threw a code yesterday and I don't have to sit for 30 minutes for it to cool off. I just pour water and get home. Finally going to be changed today. Then hopefully the only problems now are minor.
Old August 21st, 2009, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cajungirl_27
This thread has helped me so much. I first looked at it in November but me being female not one listened to my thoughts on what was happening to my tracker. Well its June now and I finally got on the thread again reread the information and sent the link to my boyfriend. He calls a mechanic friend and finally after changing the fuel filter, flushing the injectors, changing the fuel pump they camshaft position sensor is indeed the problem. It finally threw a code yesterday and I don't have to sit for 30 minutes for it to cool off. I just pour water and get home. Finally going to be changed today. Then hopefully the only problems now are minor.

HELLO!
So glad to find this forum. My 2003 2.0 Tracker w/25469 mi started having same problem.

Originally, service engine light stayed on and diagnostics said this probably was catalytic converter............but not driveability issue.

Apparently, the cam sensor (switch?) is the culprit. HOPE SO.
Thank you all so much. I will report back.

ALSO, whether parked or driving, car begins to "shake and ????";
sometimes if give gas repeatedly, this will stop; otherwise, engine dies.
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2000 Chevy Tracker 2.0l Stalling,bucking,etc

I also Have had the same issue many are talking about here, I first replaced the fuel filter, then the Fuel pump neither made a fix. I had a feeling it was heat related since it only happened after excessive driving so I picked up a can of electronic testing coolant which brings the temperature of a component down rapidly. The next time I was driving and it happened I sprayed the camshaft sensor cooling it down and the car started right away. What I am trying to figure out is do I have to replace the entire unit for about $120 or just the sensor for $60. Does anyone have experience replacing these? If I do replace the entire unit, do I have to have the timing set?

Last edited by JeffNY; September 8th, 2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: additional information
Old November 8th, 2010, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JeffNY
I also Have had the same issue many are talking about here, I first replaced the fuel filter, then the Fuel pump neither made a fix. I had a feeling it was heat related since it only happened after excessive driving so I picked up a can of electronic testing coolant which brings the temperature of a component down rapidly. The next time I was driving and it happened I sprayed the camshaft sensor cooling it down and the car started right away. What I am trying to figure out is do I have to replace the entire unit for about $120 or just the sensor for $60. Does anyone have experience replacing these? If I do replace the entire unit, do I have to have the timing set?
When mine was replaced it was the entire unit. The timing did have to be set also! I live in Louisiana, I dunno where you are from but any GOOD mechanic should be able to change it! It took about minutes to change mine and set the timing AFTER the cam sensor was cooled down enough to touch.