TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Changed Plugs Truck running Rough - Help!

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2011, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed Plugs Truck running Rough - Help!

Hi Folks,

Hopefully someone can help. We have a 2003 Trailblazer, 6 cyl. Yesterday I was changing the spark plugs and I noticed fresh oil around the top of some of the plugs. When I took the plugs out I am sure some of the oil got into the cylinders. Now the truck is running extremely rough, changed the plugs and still running rough. Three questions, it looks like there is a gasket possibly leaking any ideas? Did I hurt anything and what should I do?
Thank you very much, this is my wifes work car and I need to get it fixed ASAP
Old March 7th, 2011, 8:51 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To stop the oil you need valve cover gaskets. What kind if plugs did you use? What gap did you set them at?
Old March 7th, 2011, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
To stop the oil you need valve cover gaskets. What kind if plugs did you use? What gap did you set them at?
Thank you for the quick response. AC Delco 41-103's. They are Iridium plugs and I was told I didn't need to gap them. I tried those and put the old ones back in and it still ran bad, maybe fouled? I was reading on the valve cover gaskets, do you think I could do them without emptying the freon?

Thanks Again!!
Old March 8th, 2011, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mcvoss
Thank you for the quick response. AC Delco 41-103's. They are Iridium plugs and I was told I didn't need to gap them. I tried those and put the old ones back in and it still ran bad, maybe fouled? I was reading on the valve cover gaskets, do you think I could do them without emptying the freon?

Thanks Again!!
If I had a bad Ignition coil shouldn't I be getting the check engine light?
Old August 16th, 2014, 9:45 PM
CF Junior Member

yes you would get a code for misfire on ## cylinder
Old August 16th, 2014, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

silly question but could you have mixed up wires - only asked cuz that would be something up my alley!!
Old August 17th, 2014, 12:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Default no can do

cant mix up wires they are too short and there are no plug wires
Old August 17th, 2014, 8:03 PM
CF Active Member

I would suggest you go back thru the plug connections for the coils , a lot of times and have seen this discussed many times you don't get those coils snapped back on correctly and it causes problems . You have the correct plugs and no do not gap those plugs ! It is more likely something like this if the vehicle did not exhibit this behavior before the plug change, a little oil in the plug well would not likely cause an issue as long as it isn't a big pool .
Old November 22nd, 2014, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

Working on the neighbors 05 Inline 6 4.2l. Did the same thing, all I did is change the plugs, and it runs bad, if even at all. Sputters, won't even idle on it's own. Can't cross the coil on different coils as they all have a set amount of wire going from the harness to each coil and to get it wrong you would have to criss cross the wires to the coil packs.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 7:55 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

How was it running prior to the plug change?
Did you verify the gap of each plug?
Double check that the plugs are the correct ones, preferably OEM and not aftermarket..
Are the wires firmly seated, did you feel and hear the "click"
Its possible the wires are bad and got even worse when handled when removing for the install.
Did you use any anti-seize compound, doing so can disrupt the proper grounding of the plug to the cylinder head...

Quick Reply: Changed Plugs Truck running Rough - Help!