TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Please help an old lady

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2014, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help an old lady

Long story so short version. Transmission on 03 Chevy Trailblazer was bad. A guy replaced it (still isn't right but I'll have to suffer) I have no idea what type transmission he replaced it with probably from a junkyard and it still doesnt shift right. It's almost like the engine isn't communicating right with the transmission. I know, sounds funny but I'm a girl so give me a break. LOL...Anyway I went to ck the transmission fluid and it's empty! Now, I don't know if it leaked out, don't see any leaks, or if the crackhead just didn't put any back in. Question is will the orginal dipstick show the correct reading? And how do I know what type fluid to put in it? HELP I'm hating my first Chevy right now!
Old July 12th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
there are lots of variables to that question/answer so lets start with making sure the fluid level is being checked correctly.... here is the procedure from the owners manual and the type of fluid you will need...
If you are still seeing low fluid on the dipstick after following the cold and hot checks the fluid level is likely too low and will cause shifting problems...
Re-check after reading and follow up and we can go from there...

Automatic Transmission
DEXRON-III Automatic Transmission Fluid

Service Information
2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - 2WD | Chevrolet TrailBlazer Owner Manual |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Automatic Transmission Fluid
When to Check and Change
A good time to check your automatic transmission fluid level is when the engine oil is changed.

Change both the fluid and filter every 50,000 miles (83 000 km) if the vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these conditions:

• In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90°F (32°C) or higher.

• In hilly or mountainous terrain.

• When doing frequent trailer towing.

• Uses such as found in taxi, police or delivery service.

If you do not use your vehicle under any of these conditions, change the fluid and filter every 100,000 miles (166 000 km).

How to Check
Because this operation can be a little difficult, you may choose to have this done at the dealership service department.

If you do it yourself, be sure to follow all the instructions here, or you could get a false reading on the dipstick.

Notice: Too much or too little fluid can damage your transmission. Too much can mean that some of the fluid could come out and fall on hot engine parts or exhaust system parts, starting a fire. Too little fluid could cause the transmission to overheat. Be sure to get an accurate reading if you check your transmission fluid.

Wait at least 30 minutes before checking the transmission fluid level if you have been driving:

• When outside temperatures are above 90°F (32°C).

• At high speed for quite a while.

• In heavy traffic-especially in hot weather.

• While pulling a trailer.

To get the right reading, the fluid should be at normal operating temperature, which is 180°F to 200°F (82°C to 93°C).

Get the vehicle warmed up by driving about 15 miles (24 km) when outside temperatures are above 50°F (10°C). If it's colder than 50°F (10°C), drive the vehicle in THIRD (3) until the engine temperature gage moves and then remains steady for 10 minutes.

A cold fluid check can be made after the vehicle has been sitting for eight hours or more with the engine off, but this is used only as a reference. Let the engine run at idle for five minutes if outside temperatures are 50°F (10°C) or more. If it's colder than 50°F (10°C), you may have to idle the engine longer. Should the fluid level be low during this cold check, you must check the fluid hot before adding fluid. Checking the fluid hot will give you a more accurate reading of the fluid level.

Checking the Fluid Level
Prepare your vehicle as follows:

• Park your vehicle on a level place. Keep the engine running.

• With the parking brake applied, place the shift lever in PARK (P).

• With your foot on the brake pedal, move the shift lever through each gear range, pausing for about three seconds in each range. Then, position the shift lever in PARK (P).

• Let the engine run at idle for three minutes or more.

Then, without shutting off the engine, follow these steps:

The automatic transmission dipstick handle with the transmission and lock symbol is located in the engine compartment on the passenger's side of the vehicle.

See Engine Compartment Overview for more information on location.

Flip the handle up and then pull out the dipstick and wipe it with a clean rag or paper towel.
Push it back in all the way, wait three seconds and then pull it back out again. Check both sides of the dipstick, and read the lower level.

If the fluid level is in the acceptable range, push the dipstick back in all the way; then flip the handle down to lock the dipstick in place.
How to Add Fluid
Refer to the Maintenance Schedule to determine what kind of transmission fluid to use. See Part D: Recommended Fluids and Lubricants .

Add fluid only after checking the transmission fluid while it is hot. (A cold check is used only as a reference.) If the fluid level is low, add only enough of the proper fluid to bring the level up to the HOT area for a hot check. It doesn't take much fluid, generally less than one pint (0.5 L). Don't overfill.

Notice: We recommend you use only fluid labeled DEXRON® -III, because fluid with that label is made especially for your automatic transmission. Damage caused by fluid other than DEXRON® -III is not covered by your new vehicle warranty.

• After adding fluid, recheck the fluid level as described under "How to Check".

• When the correct fluid level is obtained, push the dipstick back in all the way; then flip the handle down to lock the dipstick in place.
Old July 13th, 2014, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two days after I bought this truck the transmission was slipping badly. I put some Lucas in it. That afternoon it quit shifting period. So much for lucas huh? Always heard those things are just a crutch. Anyway guy said he'd rebuild the tranny for me. Little did I know he was a crackhead. I'd used him before for my vehicles and he was excellant. Nobody told me what their like on a binge though! He said he fixed it and was bringing it home and noticed it still wasnt shifting right so he took it back again. Then says he's just going to put another transmission in. (longer story but plenty of lies during this) So, I find out he's been riding my truck at night to do his thing by way of his grilfriend. We had a huge fight and he said, "just come get your truck". I went to get it and nothing electrical worked! A.C, dome lights, radio ect. I was pissed! We ended up talking it all out, he knew he was wrong and btw said, Oh a fuse was out of it. Yeah you took it out being mean! Anyways calls me to come get it and BF drives it and says it's all good. It wasn't. I'm no mechanic but I can "feel" things when they arent right. I can't tell you what is wrong but I know it doesnt feel right. The rpm's are way high when it's trying to shift into overdrive and if I let off the gas it'll go ahead and shift. There is also a shudder sometimes. IMO sometimes the rpm gage just acts crazy. Anyways I'm now wondering exactly what he did. Did he strain the fluid in the old one and put it back (obviously the tranny in it came from a junkyard or something in his yard) Did he just leave the fluid in it that was already in it and just bolt it up there? Who knows! I don't even know if it's the same kind of transmission!! So, I checked the fluid praying that may be it. IT WAS EMPTY by the dipstick, BONE *** DRY!! However I'm not even sure the dipstick matches that transmission, if it matters or what! When I first got it the dipstick was showing it was overfull! Did I mention what a flippen nightmare this truck has been??? So we go to the parts store to get fluid. But what kind of fluid? Who knows what kind of transmission this may be? Another trip back taking the pan and filter thinking that may tell the parts guy what kind of transmission it is. Only difference in the 60 and 70 is the thickness of the pan and filter. He got me so confused but I think we finally decided it was a 60. To which he said we should buy Dex/Merc. I'm truely ready to drive this thing off a cliff!!!
My dad worked for Chevy his entire life. Got killed on the job working for them. They said he could tune one by ear. My biggest memories were that blue uniform and the smell of grease. When I bought this Trailblazer it just so happened to be blue. First Chevy I ever owned. When the tranny slipped I was heart broken. It was my last penny and yes I'm poor and bought it from a shady car lot. It was the best I could do and he wouldn't take it back. Hence the reason I used the shady crackhead mechanic. I just kept thinking, it's a blue Chevy, and if my dad is a guardian angel it'll be o.k. He beleived in Chevy's...it's NOT o.K and I've never owned anything that stayed broke as much as this!! So I'm more than disappointed you see?
Old July 13th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi,coppermare, Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Change the transmission filter while the tranny is dry. Then refill it per

in2pro's directions.

Many times when an old transmission filter is clogging, you start

losing gears before total lockup. Your crackhead probably didn't change the

transmission filter. Fortunately it's a simple, inexpensive job.
The following users liked this post:
Inari (May 9th, 2020)