Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Howdy all! Newbie questons.

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2009, 6:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howdy all! Newbie questons.

Howdy all! I am thinking about buy a 2005 Chevrolet Uplander LS 4D Pass Ext Van w/53K. I don't know anything about this vehicle (chevy's for that matter). Are these vehicles reliable? What are some of things I should be looking for? What are some of the things major and nimor that goes wrong with this vehicle?
Thanks in advanced!
Copedawg
Old August 11th, 2009, 7:01 AM
CF Beginner

13 views and nothing? Goodnews/Badnews. Maybe nothing really worth noting/Thanks for the welcomes
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

I have an '05 uplander LT with almost 70K miles on it. We purchased it new and the first couple months it had A LOT of electrical issues which were, fortunately, covered under warranty. But by the time I reached the amount of miles noted on the uplander you are interested in, most of the problems were resolved. I can only speak from my experience in that I haven't really had many problems since the first 10K miles or so. Over the last 10 to 15K, I've had to have my front wheel bearings replaced and stabilizer(s) replaced which seem to be pretty prevelent among uplanders. Also, in the last 5K miles or so, the DIC buttons on my dash are failing and the driver side heated seat doesn't seem to work. Otherwise, we've enjoyed our van. It rides comfortably and the kids love the DVD system. I had a Tahoe previously and I felt it was quieter as far as road noise than the uplander - but then again, it's priced higher so I'm sure you pay for that, too. This is the only mini-van I've had so can't personally compare it to other makes. I may be able to answer any specific questions you may have from my personal exerience.
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks mom! This vehicle was a lease and we are buying through CarMax. We had previously purchased (1st minivan) a Dodge Caravan through CarMax. We had the van for about a month and it's been to the dealer for 3 weeks of the month. Finaly the dealer could not fix it so CarMax said we will put you in another van of our choice. The 1st thing we did was dodge (no pun intended) Mopars. I cannot express the professional, curtious and timely service we recieved from CarMax during this matter. They gave us loaner vans the whole time we were without. I do alot of work on my other vehicle and I am confident I can work on this too. I was just looking for anything problematic in these vehicles. If I have any qusetions about anything I will ask. Thanks again for responding. I hope we are as happy with our van as you are with yours.
Old August 20th, 2009, 5:23 PM
CF Junior Member

The '05s were nortorious for brakes that needed replacing way too soon. Part of the problem was the fix that the dealers tried. The following model year the Uplanders had upgraded brakes ( as signified by a 6 lug rim vs. a 5 lug for 2005). The power sliding door continued to be a thorn in the side for dealers, a carryover of the issue experienced by the odel the Uplander replaced, the Venture. Overall though they are an improvement over the Venture with bigger wheels (17") which gives it a better ride in my opinion, (previously owned 2 Ventures,) a redesigned front end, and other tweaks. I own a 2006 and am very pleased with it. I replaced the brakes at 30,000 miles and the dealer replaced a burnt out rear wiper motor under warranty at 24,000 miles. That's it besides usual maintenance such as fluid and filter changes.
Old September 1st, 2009, 3:45 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks ts! I will keep an eye on the breaks. I do have a problem with one of the sliding doors. It is a power door that someti9mes will not open on command. I can hear the motor turning and the door will start to open or "crack the seal" then stop. Sometimes if I push the button 2wice it will open but not all the time. Any ideas?

Overall I am (b/c my wife is) very pleased with this vehicle.