Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Inside door handle plastic trim-keeps popping out?

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2011, 5:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside door handle plastic trim-keeps popping out?

Has anyone else had this happen on their Uplander? I bought this van a year ago and when I bought it, the passenger inside door handle plastic trim surround wasn't popped in the door panel, just sitting in the glove box. I pretty much forgot about it until recently and after popping it into place, it simply pops back out when you pull the inside handle to open the door.

It does catch because I can feel/hear the 3 plastic legs/clips on the back of the plastic trim piece snap into the slots in the door but it won't stay.

The little 'legs' aren't worn or broken either. This is also the first vehicle I've seen without a small screw to keep the trim piece secured....

Jeremy
Old January 20th, 2012, 8:02 AM
Professional Mechanic

My driver side does the same thing. I got it to stay in pretty good, but it started working itself out until it wedged the door lock into the locked position and locked us out.
Old January 20th, 2012, 7:08 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> niceguy88 & crateampsrock,

I'm sorry to hear of the inconvenience with your Uplander vehicles. If you would like, PM me your VIN number, I may be able to offer additional information.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 26th, 2012, 12:15 PM
leo
CF Beginner

did you look to see if the plastic lock tab broke off the trim piece? Mine comes out sometimes because the tad broke off on 1 side. You can replace it with new or maybe try some doubleside tape to hold it in place
Old January 27th, 2012, 9:05 PM
CF Active Member

No they're not broken but I can only guess that they're worn. Though how a simple trim piece can be worn out on a 3 year old van that was used as a fleet vehicle w/a single driver most of the time is beyond me....
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:26 AM
CF Active Member

I just thought I'd update this a tad....I bought a replacement passenger side door handle trim piece a few months ago, it ran about $24 IIRC. Worked well...for awhile and then started popping out again, thanks Chevrolet. My '93 Nissan Altima's interior quality and materials is still light years ahead of this thing...

It looks like the tiny tabs are simply insufficient to hold the trim piece in place though why this is so I'm not sure as the driver side is fine. I have noticed a bit of flex in the door panel when you pull the handle to this could be simply poor design, tolerances,etc...

I may just drive a black screw through the trim piece straight into the plastic inner door panel and be done with it...I'll update when I get time to mess with it.
Old July 16th, 2015, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> niceguy88 & crateampsrock,

I'm sorry to hear of the inconvenience with your Uplander vehicles. If you would like, PM me your VIN number, I may be able to offer additional information.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
I'm sitting in 100 degree heat right now because the interior trim popped off and the key won't unlock the door. A substantive response would be more helpful.
Old July 21st, 2015, 6:09 PM
CF Active Member

Yeah I don't usually even think about it now and haven't had time to even bother popping the panels off but I just left the trim pieces off. Besides, if you ever have to remove them, they will more times than not, break at one of the tabs anyway.

Sorry for your troubles!