Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Update To Ownership of My Uplander

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2010, 8:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Update To Ownership of My Uplander

I purchased my 2005 Chevy Uplander new from the factory.

First 30,000 kms were trouble free. The next 30,000 kms, I experienced several problems. Premature failure with a tie rod end, left front sway bar link, leaking seal on crank cover of engine, flickering headlites, premature wear on vinyl shoulder of drivers seat were all problems that were experienced and fixed on warranty. The next 69,000 kms I experienced failure requiring repairs with the engine thermostat, rear window wiper motor, struts on the rear hatch door, heat shield on the muffler, and the right front sway bar link. I also had squeaking brakes from the very first day of ownership, that were fixed after I replaced the brake pads with an upgraded after market product.

I now have 129,000kms on this vehicle and I have one payment left before I own the vehicle outright. I have meticulously maintained and looked after this van. It has sat most of its parked life inside a heated garage and it has been babied to death.

I still like the appearance of my van and I enjoy how it handles on the highway. I hate the seats as they never have been comfortable to sit in.

This vehicle has been a mixed bag of satisfaction and dis-satisfaction.

With the economy being slow, I am going to keep and drive this van for a few more years before I think about replacing it with another new vehicle.

In January 2010, I wrote a long letter to General Motors and the Dealership where I bought the van. Suffice it to say, I was not overall pleased with the parent company as I told them that I thought their business model was broken, which culminated with GM's bankruptcy in 2009. Product prior to the bankruptcy was definitely deficient for several years in many ways.

I was somewhat surprised that they [both the dealership and the parent company] immediately responded to my letter and apologized for their past performance as a whole. They promised to do better in the future. I told them that I would wait and see if their business model had improved.
If not, for the first time in my life, I would be looking elsewhere to purchase my next new vehicle.

I think there are a number of people out there that feel the same way.
Old March 29th, 2010, 7:39 PM
CF Active Member

Sorry to hear about all the problems you went through with your Uplander. It reminds me of all the problems I also went through with my Impala 2003 and I finally changed it for a new 2009 Uplander. So far with 12000 miles I have not experienced any problems but like you said time will be my luck or my mistake.
Old April 7th, 2010, 8:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Capucine...
Thanks for your interest and feed back. Wish you luck with your Uplander. Like I say, mine has been a mixed bag. I still like looking at the vehicle. Gives me the same feeling as when I first saw it in the showroom.