Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Uplander thoughts

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2008, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uplander thoughts

Just a few random thoughts on Uplanders (proud owner 2007 LT)
I wish we could get a few more owners to this forum so it had a bit more activity.
Thomas101 I too worry that 4 qtss seems small for oil capacity I tend to fill the filter and then put in 4 quarts. Sounds like GM thinks its OK with just 4 qts without extra for filter.

Roaming around the GM site where you can see what they are selling in other countries I found if I lived in Canada (not more than 60 mile away) I could get a new 2009 Uplander and also if I was in Mexico I could get a 2009 Uplander. Why cant they be in the USA

so much for this random thoughts post

Still trying to determine best choice of tire thats good in winter without doing an annual change but also good in summer.
Old December 4th, 2008, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Uplander thoughts

My wife drives a Mazda MPV van. We got GoodYear Assurance Tripple Thread tires on her van and have beenquite happy with them. It works very in wet condition but not deep snow. However, in the winter we switch to X-ice tires.
Old December 4th, 2008, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

I live in Canada just 6 miles North of the USA border . I got a brand new 2008 a few weeks ago I was told that the uplander was discontinued and 2008 was the last year.
There are some terrific buys out there right now with the manufactureres in financial difficulty . A full $10,000 off the window sticker that came from the factory with the vehicle.
I'll bet both the dealer and GM are still making a decent profit. Makes one wonder how much they were making before and why the prices had to get so high in the first place.

I too would like to see this Uplander board get more active.

Mine came with all season tires and so far in BC it is not mandatory to have dedicated snow tires . Some of the provinces out east have to put on snow tires fro a certain number of months now or theit insurance is void in case of an accident.
A double set of tires can get pretty costly.
I hope my GoodYear all saeson ones will work good enough in the winter to get me up the steep mountain road I live on.

I have been running full synthetic oil in previous vehicles and I am a total believer in it.
Would the first oil change (whenI get that many miles on it) be too soon to switch to synthetic or should I wait for a couple more changes. ?
W.Y.
Old December 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

William,

So far, just a few of us making noises on this forum, so I though we may try to keep it going.

I read your post on the oversize wheel and I am glad that you found oversize rotors on your van.

I live in Brampton, north of Toronto. I bought my 2008Montana SV6 van in September 08for the same reason you did, heavy discount.

I had some reservations about Uplander/Montana quality at first but the van has grown on me. During the 1st week, dealer replaced one of the TPMS units.

These vans have powerful and smooth engine, I searched but rarely found a complaint on engine or tranmission failures. But to be sure, I will switch to Synth oil by the end of Jan 09, I think the van will reach 5000 km by then. That will also be the 1st usage of synt oil for me and I will try Penzoil Platinum.

The van interior can use some improments or borrowing idea on imported vans. I have concluded that a group of single people must have designed the interior of a family vehicle:

- Seats can not be moved or folded easily, the chairflip handle located on the inside making it inconvenient if you are carrying stuff or a baby carriage.

- Lack of cup holders for 2nd row.

- Not much room in the back. In our Mazda MPV van with about the same length, we have about 16'-18' gap between the bench and the lift gate.

- I think it was a dump idea to put bucket seats, no arm restsin the van. I tried to upgrade but none were available. I wonder how many potential buyers walked away because the bucket seats.

However, for the discounted price, it is a great van.
Old December 5th, 2008, 9:10 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Uplander thoughts

I live in Canada too, just outside of Windsor. The wife and I bought the Uplander as we became first-time grandparents and needed a family vehicle that everyone would fit into. We didn't need a lot of bells and whistles and the LS RWB fills the bill for us. The Uplander is rather old technology and the seating/creature comforts never were brought up to "modern" standards but for the money it is a good value. We didn't expect the interior/exterior design and quality to rival a 2007 Sienna or Odyssey but the wife and I enjoy cruising around in our Uplander. I have a rattle in the driver's side sliding door that I have to take care of and then the van will be "perfect" !!
Old December 6th, 2008, 7:28 AM
CF Beginner

Congratulations to grand pa Papa Bear!

The Uplander/Montana has very car-like handling. I enjoyed driving mine too.

With the recent economic bad news relating to the Big Three, I often thought of my van as an example how GM got itself and other peopleinto this trouble with plant closing and bail out money from tax payers. They came up short in their vehicle design on trivial things and priced fairly competitively with imports and now they have to clear unsold vehicles with heavy discount.

Again, just some random thoughts.
Old December 6th, 2008, 8:56 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey papa bear...where abouts near windsor are you?
I used to live in chatham and for the last year have been living in woodstock
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Hi Shawn: I live in Wheatley
Old December 7th, 2008, 6:40 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I used to drive through that area about once or twice a week for work when i lived out there
Old December 7th, 2008, 9:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Where did you work, Shawn ??

Quick Reply: Uplander thoughts