Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

99 Cooling fans not coming on

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2011, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Cooling fans not coming on

I have a 99 venture. The cooling fans will not come on to cool things if I am not running the AC. Running the AC turns the fans on, both low and high. Without AC, I have seen the gauge go as high as 3/4 to 7/8 on the temp gauge, which according to a gauge which puts the temp between approx 240 and 247. That is as high as I have let it get. I have red at other sites that the cooling fans will come on when it gets to 'red' on the gauge but I feel they should come on sooner and don't want to risk damage.

I have tested the relays with multimeter after energizing them and they appear to engage properly with little resistance on the closed circuit (not sure I have a good meter to test the resistance amount, but they do have a closed circuit). I have noticed the relays can be placed in any orientaion so I am not sure it that is a problem.

The temp was running dead cold at interstate speeds so I replaced the thermostat (not an easy job) and that solved the problem. I have also replaced the temp sensor next to the thermostat.

Does anyone have any idea what to check next?
Old August 9th, 2011, 7:54 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Jumper across the temp sensor with key on if the fan turns on the sensor is bad.
Old August 12th, 2011, 6:43 AM
CF Beginner

I already replaced the temp sensor which did not help.
Old August 13th, 2011, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default Manual Bypass

A trick we use on old motorcycles is a toggle switch to manually turn the fans on. Some guys don't want to depend on the thermo-switch or are too cheap to replace a bad one.

Regardless Kevinkpk's idea of jumpering across the fanstat is a good one. Maybe your replacement is bad too.

Other possibilities are your temp sending unit or temp guage are bad.