Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2012, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking noise

My Venture makes a clunking noise when passing on holes or anything that sits about 2-3 inches below the road grade. I have noticed the same noise on other Ventures and Montanas. Any ideas? What could it be?

Thanks in advance,
Old February 15th, 2012, 4:34 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> JoseC,

It can be difficult to say what may be causing the noise over the internet. If you are concerned about it, I would suggest taking the vehicle in to be inspected by a certified technician. A technician should be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis after a physical inspection.

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> JoseC,

It can be difficult to say what may be causing the noise over the internet. If you are concerned about it, I would suggest taking the vehicle in to be inspected by a certified technician. A technician should be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis after a physical inspection.

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Hi Louis

Thanks for your reply. This noise is going on for years... In 2006 I took the car to the dealer where I got it and they found no issue. Few years later I took to an indy shop and they also found no issues. I don't have how to lift the car, so I cannot try to find the noise source myself, so I decided to ask here to see if someone else had the same problem. The fact is that I have heard the same noise coming from other Ventures and Uplanders on the street. It seems to me this might be a common issue.
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:16 AM
CF Beginner

i think i had the same problem , i replaced the rear axle " one piece bar " , they call it axle but i call it cross member , they have two bushings right and left where you can see'em right in front of each tire under body " towards engine " , they're cheap like $25 bushings from the dealer and you can't do'em your self unless you have compressing tools to do so , because that's a very common problem for ventures and uplanders too
try that and good luck
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mos19790
i think i had the same problem , i replaced the rear axle " one piece bar " , they call it axle but i call it cross member , they have two bushings right and left where you can see'em right in front of each tire under body " towards engine " , they're cheap like $25 bushings from the dealer and you can't do'em your self unless you have compressing tools to do so , because that's a very common problem for ventures and uplanders too
try that and good luck
Thanks mos19790. I will check how the bushings look and replace them.
Old February 27th, 2012, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

you are welcome , let me know what happened with your vehicle after you fix it , and i also replaced the stabilizer bar which is located above the rear cross member , u can see it if you crawl down the car and look up it goes across from side to side with also 2 bushings at each side and its like $70 from the dealer " whole thing " , i got those item from the dealer because they cost more at the junk yard , good luck