Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

PLEASE HELP! Mysterious Noise In Passenger Side Sliding Door Area!

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2013, 2:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry PLEASE HELP! Mysterious Noise In Passenger Side Sliding Door Area!

Every time I hit even a slight bump in the road I started noticing that I had jiggling noises coming from the area of my passenger side sliding door. I took it into the shop I go to and they tore the door open and checked inside and around the door and couldn't find anything that could be causing that jiggly, rattling sound that comes and goes with bumps in the road.

It even drove the mechanic a little crazy trying to figure out what could be causing the noises. He greased the door wherever he could and hoped that might help it, but that was no help, either.

I was beginning to have some slight chirping sounds after an ex of mine slammed the door too hard back in 2004...but as long as I opened and reclosed the door a time or two after I would hear it, it would go away. It wasn't all the time, either. But when it became more annoying, I started avoiding using that sliding door and stuck to the one on the driver side only.

There were times where the door would make other slight noises, like the chirping sound, and I would continue to open and reclose the door to stop it. The noises were much quieter than what is happening now, so I worry that at those times I had to open and reclose the sliding door that I might have slammed it a little too hard out of frustration over the annoying sound and having to jump out of the car to open and reclose the door (while at lights or after pulling over to do so) and that I may have made the noises worse.

Does anyone know what it could be that is now sounding more jiggly and rattling...almost kind of thumpy at times? If the mechanic couldn't find what he thought would cause it in the door and he felt the window wasn't loose...what else could cause this kind of sound? Is it possible that I slammed the door too hard too many times and loosened the hinges or bolts somehow? Or is this just something that happens when your car gets old? My van is a 2000 Economy Venture Van. So it's over 13 years old now.

I really hope someone can give me some advice...this is driving me up a wall!
Old November 1st, 2013, 3:24 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...

It has been my experience with door noises that often times its the lock and handle control rods rattling or moving... the attachments for the rods wear over time and allow the rod to move a bit more and often times it "taps" the door panel...

Wiring bundles in the doors can also make sound if they have been removed and not properly re-attached after such things as speaker installs or power lock actuator replacements...

You might try having the rods wrapped with electrical tape to see if that dampens the noise...
Old November 1st, 2013, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum...

It has been my experience with door noises that often times its the lock and handle control rods rattling or moving... the attachments for the rods wear over time and allow the rod to move a bit more and often times it "taps" the door panel...

Wiring bundles in the doors can also make sound if they have been removed and not properly re-attached after such things as speaker installs or power lock actuator replacements...

You might try having the rods wrapped with electrical tape to see if that dampens the noise...
I have never had the inner door opened before this one and only time that my mechanic opened the inner panel to see what he could find for noise issue causes.

Is this something I can do on my own or would I have to pay my mechanic to do it? How hard is it to open the inner panel of the door? I have never done this, but am willing to look into how to do it. Unless you think I need a pro to do it instead.

Shouldn't my mechanic have seen these rods being worn out? Or is that not very obvious unless you are specifically looking for it?

Do you think I caused this noise by possibly slamming the door too hard one too many times or is it likely just old car age or things wearing out?

Btw...thanks for the welcome and for you help.
Old November 1st, 2013, 5:13 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Shouldn't my mechanic have seen these rods being worn out? Or is that not very obvious unless you are specifically looking for it?
The rods don't wear out, but the plastic clips that hold them can loosen up after a lot of use, its not something that you would normally check for, and is just a suggestion on my part.

Do you think I caused this noise by possibly slamming the door too hard one too many times or is it likely just old car age or things wearing out?
Sure, undo hard slamming can knock things loose but heavy usage over time could do it also...

Is this something I can do on my own or would I have to pay my mechanic to do it? How hard is it to open the inner panel of the door? I have never done this, but am willing to look into how to do it. Unless you think I need a pro to do it instead.
It's not hard but it does require a bit of finesse as there is often a lot of very easily breakable plastic, door panel removal tools can help but sometimes some fasteners have to be replaced do to breakage... its very possible due to age some of those fasteners have weakened and are the root of the rattles...

Its just a thought, but you might ask a local stereo shop to take a look at it as that is something they probably have to deal with a lot...
Old November 2nd, 2013, 5:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Hello,

When I bought my van, I had the sound side door became unbearable.

Since nobody has mentioned, I identified (for once (humor) I let my wife drive the van and I was looking for the origin of the noise). I solved the problem on my van:
This is the upper bracket that has too much play, and floats in the slot.
the problem was solved by installing adhesive pads and did not return for nearly ten years.
It may not be the problem you have. But this solution should be applied in many cases.

sincerely

My text is a Google translation. French English.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by chevy47390
Hello,

When I bought my van, I had the sound side door became unbearable.

Since nobody has mentioned, I identified (for once (humor) I let my wife drive the van and I was looking for the origin of the noise). I solved the problem on my van:
This is the upper bracket that has too much play, and floats in the slot.
the problem was solved by installing adhesive pads and did not return for nearly ten years.
It may not be the problem you have. But this solution should be applied in many cases.

sincerely

My text is a Google translation. French English.
How did you put the adhesive pads in? I keep thinking the sound is coming from the top area of the door, too. So you may be right in my situation, also. Did you have a Venture van?
Old November 2nd, 2013, 4:56 PM
CF Junior Member

yes well the sound came from the top corner (front ) of the sliding door.
must be removed, the ceiling cover the tab that slides; closed door, you will see the play (?) that little game (?) but was much noise, when cruising.
thick single-sided adhesive is positioned at the stroke end of the tab which slides.
This is to prevent vibrations. A second adhesive could be placed on the other side of the tab. if necessary.
More details tomorrow , can be a photo

Yes, I have two venture at home !! one 1999 and the second 2001 !!
and two others for overhaul !
sincerely.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 6:42 PM
CF Beginner

yes well the sound came from the top corner (front ) of the sliding door.
must be removed, the ceiling cover the tab that slides; closed door, you will see the play (?) that little game (?) but was much noise, when cruising.
thick single-sided adhesive is positioned at the stroke end of the tab which slides.
This is to prevent vibrations. A second adhesive could be placed on the other side of the tab. if necessary.
More details tomorrow , can be a photo

Yes, I have two venture at home !! one 1999 and the second 2001 !!
and two others for overhaul !
sincerely.
Please do include some photos...because I'm not completely sure exactly where you mean and I want to make sure I see where you are talking about. Thanks so much for your help.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Here is the picture of roulette in the rail with the hold placed there nine years. She was moved with use.
The other picture is the establishment of a new adhesive after cleaning the rail.

Other solutions would be to distort the rail to remove the game limit, or move the rail so that the wheel is turned.

I préferre the solution of the adhesive.
I redid the two sliding doors.
the noise is incredible, but the vibration is produced iron against iron

sincerely

Old November 3rd, 2013, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Here is the picture of roulette in the rail with the hold placed there nine years. She was moved with use.
The other picture is the establishment of a new adhesive after cleaning the rail.

Other solutions would be to distort the rail to remove the game limit, or move the rail so that the wheel is turned.

I préferre the solution of the adhesive.
I redid the two sliding doors.
the noise is incredible, but the vibration is produced iron against iron

sincerely

I can't tell exactly where this is on the door area. Is it flipped sideways? My van is a 2000 and I'm not sure it is set up the exact way. I will have to check.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! Mysterious Noise In Passenger Side Sliding Door Area!