Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Screeching pulley? tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2011, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screeching pulley? tensioner?

Hey all. It's been almost a year now and my dad and I cannot figure this out. After doing research, it seems the ventures are known for making a screeching noise under the engine? Tried another belt, still there. replaced water pump, still there. replaced 2 (if i remember it was 2, if not one) stand alone pulleys as well as the belt tensioner. One of those, made the noise go away; however, when putting the new belt tensioner on, it has the belt misaligned! the belt, coming off the tensioner onto the stand alone pulley (just the circular pulley towards front of the car) and its on the edge. we put the ORIGINAL stuff back on, and it was STILL coming of the edge. we ran the car and a simple spray of water causes the belt to fling off.

So, my questions summarized are:
1) What makes the engine squeal like this?
2) What the heck happened to cause everything else to be misaligned?! (Mind you that up until the tensioner, that belt was on PERFECT)
Old October 15th, 2011, 4:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure about the noise but if it were from the serpentine belt, I've found that some aftermarket ones are pure junk. Pulleys, you can carefully listen for the source with a mechanic's stethoscope or even a piece of old garden hose. Also, with the belt off, you can usually feel for something not quite right.

As for the misalignment, it must be human error. Double-check the belt routing (there should be a label with the serpentine belt diagram under the hood). Also, double-check the alignment of pulleys without the belt on.
Old October 17th, 2011, 5:41 AM
CF Beginner

Hey thanks for the reply and welcome.

I just don't get how it could be a human error. We ordered another new pulley, the tensioner arm, and put that in. So this is the second new piece and still the same issue. The belt is routed just right through the diagram. Even if it was misguided, which isn't a good thing, I would assume someone would have it covering everything and it would still be even........
Old October 17th, 2011, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's that bad with the belt on, you should be able to see the problem without it on. Just double-check the alignment of pulleys. Also, see if you can take some pictures and show us what you're talking about.
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:54 AM
CF Beginner

hi , i think i've had the same problem before , and i had to go through all pulleys and tenshioner and finally it was the belt , it went and bought it fron the dealer and haven't had any noise after , try to do so , it cost about $45 twice as more as after market ones , but sure does help a lot and lasts for a lot longer , good luck